What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My bees are making more bees and no honey!
Feeding an AS and a split waiting for a new queen
No end in sight to this rotten weather.....sigh.

No beekeeping here , more rain ! Of more concern is the text messgae I have just had from a local assoc member who tells me we have an EFB outbreak close to one of my apiaries .
A phone call to the local sbi has been made . Although i like to think i would spot it anyway .........

Showed a potential beginner round my hives this am. Too cold/wet to isnpect alth' a few bees were flying.

Went to out apiary and sat in car for half an hour waiting for rain to stop. It didn't.

I need to make up a nuc for a new (bought) queen but weather too rotten to open up hives. I spend an unhealthy amount of time looking at weather forecasts.....

Break in the weather, checked girls and got chased down the garden and stung a couple of times in the ankles. Guess they are as fed up with the bad weather as me!
Gentle bees of 2011 that didn't even need smoke are just a distant memory. They hardly flinched when I smoked under the crown board, should have took that as a sign. Ha

Picked up some honey jars (ever the optimist) and treated myself to yet another hive tool. (one,two or three is never enough.)
Cazza

went back to the apiary to feed 5 hives(from splits) very little to no stores.

just checked my 2 hives both got a little stores in the supers BUT the stronger of the two hive has a large amount (about 2/3 hundred at least) of bees at the entrance so many that the foragers are having trouble getting in,I phoned my mentor earlier and he told me they were just fliers waiting for a break in the rain and not to worry, But i a worrying is this normal as its starting to get a bit cold here but there are still bees flying out between showers what should I do

just checked my 2 hives both got a little stores in the supers BUT the stronger of the two hive has a large amount (about 2/3 hundred at least) of bees at the entrance so many that the foragers are having trouble getting in,I phoned my mentor earlier and he told me they were just fliers waiting for a break in the rain and not to worry, But i a worrying is this normal as its starting to get a bit cold here but there are still bees flying out between showers what should I do

leave them to it - they know what they're doing, if they were too cold they'd be in out of the way - all my bees have been flying today (not in great a number as usual I admit) even in the heaviest of rain :)

leave them to it - they know what they're doing, if they were too cold they'd be in out of the way - all my bees have been flying today (not in great a number as usual I admit) even in the heaviest of rain :)

thanks its not knowing and not being able to contact my mentor that causes the panic not worthy

all my bees have been flying today (not in great a number as usual I admit) even in the heaviest of rain :)

mine too, quite surprised, thought this weather would keep them in, poor little things :)

I think thats why it gets addictive. All this waiting and often worrying.

You are not kidding. I actually lost sleep last night worrying about things I have no control over :-(

Hah! I am the opposite...I read about what could go wrong, then worry about why it hasn't because if there is bad luck - I usually get it!!

made a couple of crownboards, aroof for my nuc and set another bait hive up, bit late now thought i should imagine.

NOOooo!!! :D
Bees swarm much later than this :) This topsy turvy season will generate lots of (unexpected) swarms !
VM

Latest posts

Back