What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put some trellis on the windward side as despite tying it all down I lost a roof in high winds. (Never was good at knots!!!) bee-smillie

It's blowing a hooligan here accompanied by rain squalls :willy_nilly:
Sunny intervals but it's stay indoors for me ;)

John Wilkinson

Oh Victor, good old predicative text. I have visions of a hoodie with attitude being thrown around your garden by an unseen force!!!

Oh Victor, good old predicative text. I have visions of a hoodie with attitude being thrown around your garden by an unseen force!!!

A "Hoolie" is a severe storm. The term "Blowing a Hooligan" is used by seafarers to describe severe stormy conditions.

Sorry to cause consternation , the term is used more frequently at t'other end of the East Lancashire road from us woolly backs ;)
I do like the idea of hoodies being blown about though :coolgleamA:

John Wilkinson

No consternation, mental anxiety or dismay caused, just thought wrong, that's all. Oh well.

Lovely day to have off, nice and sunny if a tad brisk.

Layed some more slabs around the hives. One came out to express its annoyance at being shuffled around, the other sensibly decided it was too chilly.

Checked the varroa trays for the first time this year, about 6 under each over 2 weeks, I suspect not too bad but will verify with the Beebase calculator

Finally fitted one of RAB's patented (well should be) Jumbo Langstroth/14x12 convertors to a MB polynuc and sawed down the divider to fit. Went surprisingly well considering cack-handed DIY skills.

So far, very good - will be perfect if it warms up enough to watch them fly.bee-smillie

What did I do today?

Well, the Sun was out, so was a comfy chair and a mug of tea.

I sat for a hour or so, watching the girls bringing in pollen, and whatever else they could find. :)

Unpacked hive parts delivery. Better than xmas...
Watched bees collecting pollen from Cornus Mas shrub. (Covered in little yellow flowers.)
Cazza

I put on some neopoll on one hive and checked the others. No flying...weather too bad.
Opened my box from Brede Valley and inhaled deeply :D

Shade temp of +16C - all colonies flying hard. Check weighed them all and found they were all LIGHTER by an average of 2kg since last week.

Heads up - lots of brood requires lots of food and while pollen is plentiful nectar is in short supply - keep a close eye on stores level - a real bummer if a colony is lost at this stage to starvation:ack2:

Popped on some Neopoll. Quite a few flying about and watched about 40 at my water butt having a drink (ignoring the nice rock pool I've organised for them next to the hives)

Warm enough in my sunny well-sheltered garden, so off with their roofs for a very quick check for stores, space and anything else I might have noticed.

All five were flying strongly. Four of the five are brooding well. The Dartington was ahead, as I expected, but one of the polynucs was steaming ahead and will need more space very shortly. A frame of comb added to the Dartington and a 14 x 12.

One polynuc was patchy and it looks like her maj may be needing to be changed. There was a supercedure cell in that colony in late September, but I have no idea of the outcome. Uniting with a colony in another six frame nuc box is on the cards for that one, so together they should make a very strong foraging force for the OSR.

Remarkably, all the colonies were well provisioned and none of the three full-hives will need any feeding before the OSR, almost for sure. Laying space may be an issue.

I will be considering over-wintering on less frames this coming winter. Insulated dividers at each end being the option, they being better than honey frames which remain untouched. We shall see how much excess there was, when the OSR flow starts. At least it is all proper honey and it will be handy for provisioning my nucs....

No queens seen, or even looked for. Not in long enough. Simply found the limits of the nest from the ends, assessed stores, added frames and closed up. Minimal interference being the name of the game.

Also checked out another five colonies earlier. All had bees flying and the quietest was taking in pollen, so at least not just being robbed out! No roofs off there. Simply observed them working busily.

Two of those colonies had been busy trying to remove the last of the thymol paper towels from last year's varroa treatment; one mouse guard was stuffed with shredded tissue.

Soon (a couple of weeks?) be time to be moving hives - before they become too heavy.

Regards, RAB

the bees in my hives were really busy so I removed the mouse guards,also I made a new roof for one of my hives, with some roof metal from pa**es,I have put the mouse guards back on now.

After a whole month of freezing weather, yesterday the springtime came. It was about time. Today i made my first inspection for the year- just checked out few of the hives from the home apiary to have an idea how the things are going.
The rape is supposed to start to bloom at the end of the April.

So far so good, saw first butterfly - red admiral, lots of birds carrying twigs too big for them and three specie of bumble bee, and several bees looking into dark holes... surely it is too early for scouting for swarms??? but put out a couple more interesting holes for them to look into anyway... they did fly off away from our hives so either they were being nosey on the way out or they were "other" bees looking for newhomes. our lot dont look as though they have more than 1/2 filled the hives yet and am not carrrying out an inspection yet anyway... but begining to worry a little hmmmm ah well if it keeps this warm for a while the nwe may be pushed into an early check just in case but surely not... ?

Last edited:
Nocked up a bait hive, put some grotty old frames in it, just 5 more to do.

finally saw the girls returning with pollen........phew. they where frantic with the help of a little sunshine.

Trimmed the willow hedge that i planted last year to encourage it to thicken out rather than grow straight up.

contemplated sticking at two hives rather than three as space is premium, worried i am running before i can walk at the moment :willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

RAB,
ok we havent checked but all the bees from the hives are workers no sign of Drone anywhere even with looking up through floor or through clear cover board... yes I admit without a full check we cannot be certain but are 98% sure... both hive have pollen going in both also eating their fondant stores, seem unstressed ie not buzzy and are tolerant of us... hmmm good thought though and I agree it must be a stressed hive somewhere but looking at ours they dont appear stressed ...

Latest posts

Back