What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's going on with this flipping hive!!

Attachments

• IMG-20240815-WA0006.jpeg
    IMG-20240815-WA0006.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Made a stack of shallows from one apiary to clear using the method of a clearer board on the bottom. Sealed at the top and any gaps taped over. I've put one of Murray's flight boards underneath so once they've all gone out I can shut the base too then collect it next week for extraction. Let's see how it pans out. Bees weren't very happy!

Swarm ( cast) ?
It's the cast swarm we've recently put into a hive, don't think they like their new home!!! Found the marked queen amongst the bees so put her on a clip and back in the hive in the clip until I decide what action to take, any ideas?

It's the cast swarm we've recently put into a hive, don't think they like their new home!!! Found the marked queen amongst the bees so put her on a clip and back in the hive in the clip until I decide what action to take, any ideas?
One year I had a battle with a swarm, multiple times they would stay on the outside. Until finally they relented.

Give them a frame of brood and put a piece of QX over the entrance. Make sure they are in a space commensurate with their size. Add a small feed in a rapid feeder on top. Just a little. Maybe 500ml.

Give them a frame of brood and put a piece of QX over the entrance. Make sure they are in a space commensurate with their size. Add a small feed in a rapid feeder on top. Just a little. Maybe 500ml.
Thank you for the advice I will do that

Hello!

I recently harvested some delicious comb honey from two of my hives and the majority of my bees are faring decently. However, a question of mine is what do I do with deep frames of comb that have gotten infested with wax moth larvae and webs? Do I burn them, simply put them in a hive at a later date, or what? Also, I have never had this issue before especially with the deep boxes of frames stored open and in the light.
The cheapest solution is to cut out the webs and pick out the larvae then put them in a spare brood box with another empty one on top (and a roof) and treat them with a sulphur burn. That will kill all the larvae and most of the eggs - you may need to give them a second burn in a couple of weeks in case any eggs survive (they rarely do). If the comb is usable then the bees will repair it when it is re-used in the hive - they can't get rid of the webs though you need to cut them out.

If they are too badly gone - cut all the comb out and treat the empty frames with a sulphur burn and then boil them in washing soda ...

I'm too mean to burn frames unless it's absolutely necessary ... and even damaged comb, as long as it is not black and really manky is a valuable commodity.

You need to look at your storage arrangements though ... I treat my stored brood frames with a sulphur burn initially and then a dose of Dipel - keeps them free of wax moth and there is no problem with contamination of any sort.

We're in a dearth in Surrey, but still a trickle of foragers coming back with Balsam tramp stamps and yellow and orange pollen.

1000034968.jpg
Bored bees at the UFE. It's not even that warm. I think it's that I reduced the hive to 2 deeps for mite treatment.
1000034910.jpg

As Dani said add a frame of brood and feed I would probably close them in for 24/48 hrs and put them in the garage in the cool/dark space
Edit by which time if your feeding they will start to draw comb and become more a custom to there new home

looks more like a Kewl floor - the 'porch' only being a beespace or two high
I kind of faffed it into existence.
I do like UFEs. They're neat and tidy and allow the bees to take full control of the entrance area. It's really their domain.
Predators like wasps and hornets hover in front of them and have no idea what to do, time and time again. And there's no chance a robbing bee is getting past the constant gang of sentries at the porch area.
I have a couple of bits of thin wood in the left and right sides of the inner entrance slot, to reduce the width of the slot. So, it's even more defendable.
I leave it like that all year round.

Hello!

I recently harvested some delicious comb honey from two of my hives and the majority of my bees are faring decently. However, a question of mine is what do I do with deep frames of comb that have gotten infested with wax moth larvae and webs? Do I burn them, simply put them in a hive at a later date, or what? Also, I have never had this issue before especially with the deep boxes of frames stored open and in the light.
Fire

I kind of faffed it into existence.
I do like UFEs. They're neat and tidy and allow the bees to take full control of the entrance area. It's really their domain.
Predators like wasps and hornets hover in front of them and have no idea what to do, time and time again. And there's no chance a robbing bee is getting past the constant gang of sentries at the porch area.
I have a couple of bits of thin wood in the left and right sides of the inner entrance slot, to reduce the width of the slot. So, it's even more defendable.
I leave it like that all year round.
I usually do similar although being waspless thus far I have left full open, more for venting than entrance as they pick a side to enter

Latest posts

Back