What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Added some new supers of foundation to a couple of hives, having made the decision to wait until the end of September before extracting. Flow is going strong and we’ve lots of balsam here, although no heather sadly. Let’s see what they do…
Are you going to treat them?

Yes, three vapes at 5 day intervals starting 1st Oct. I had thought that would be too late for the winter bees but people on here keep assuring me that it will be fine
Sometimes we need to go with gut instinct

Sometimes we need to go with gut instinct
I’ve no idea whether you’re saying I’m ok with my current plan or if I should have stuck with my original notion..,care to elaborate?

I’ve no idea whether you’re saying I’m ok with my current plan or if I should have stuck with my original notion..,care to elaborate

Your current plan isn't your gut instinct, it's advise from other people who may well be right but if they're not then it's your bees which will suffer.

Spent the day at the Royal Welsh - on the WBKA stand in the honey show for most of the morning, Met up with John and Wendy from @Hedgerow Honey, was nice to see them both away from the hustle and bustle of BFA meetings, so spent a lot of my time chewing the fat with John , and with Dan our RBI arranging my upcoming DASH audit.
Didn't do too badly at the honey show either, half a dozen first, including first in both commercial classes I entered - won the Crawshay's challenge cup and a handful of various seconds and thirds.
fb.jpgfb2.jpgfb3.jpg

Your current plan isn't your gut instinct, it's advise from other people who may well be right but if they're not then it's your bees which will suffer.
but isn't his 'gut instinct' or just following the crowd who year upon year believe that winter bees are made earlier -without any rhyme or reason as to why.

Spent the day at the Royal Welsh - on the WBKA stand in the honey show for most of the morning, Met up with John and Wendy from @Hedgerow Honey, was nice to see them both away from the hustle and bustle of BFA meetings, so spent a lot of my time chewing the fat with John , and with Dan our RBI arranging my upcoming DASH audit.
Didn't do too badly at the honey show either, half a dozen first, including first in both commercial classes I entered - won the Crawshay's challenge cup and a handful of various seconds and thirds.
View attachment 40752View attachment 40753View attachment 40754
Congratulations your honey looks amazing.

Care to give a product assessment, Neil? Do you have the FLIR LT, and did you buy new?
I have the FLIR one, which is selling for about £150 at the mo. (I think it was almost double that when I bought mine)
It’s extremely useful and worth its weight in gold when searching for a nest when attempting a cut out.
Saves having to guess how big a section to cut out.
I’d give it 9/10.

View attachment 40752View attachment 40753View attachment 40754
A very well done from both of us 👍

Building fences. Looking after a cocker spaniel that has limited brain cells and no fear of bees. Yet.
And I have some defensive bees.
This may not end well.
Have a working cocker that plays Russian Roulette with bees on the concrete hard standing. It’s like watching a mongoose toying with a snake!

Latest posts

Back