What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought rectangular ones from Ampulla which will fit snugly in my home made warming cabinet. I find it hard to trust “food grade” and “sturdy” handle claims on a lot of them on Amazon …..but then, I’m just an old grouch😜
Most of my honey will be stored in jars - the buckets are an insurance policy if the flow keeps on for a while.
Good hunting👍
Those Ampulla ones are the ones I use ... fit nicely in my Lidl Jam maker as well ...

Are you attending the show today??, we are down for the four day's, we have a B&B in Rhayader.
Im alone Wednesday & Thursday though as Wendy is working in The Llandrindod hospital.
I'm there Tuesday and Thursday - I'll be at the honey show all Tuesday morning (on the WBKA stand from 10.00 to 13.00) and I'm there all day Thursday, at my leisure - apart from an hour at the Honey show at 1500 filming with S4C for the evening's big show roundup. But I won't be killing myself walking around the show as I have to take everything a lot slower nowadays.

Yes nice area if you don’t want to get north of the A27 in rush hour! My wife loves to pop down for an evening swim occasionally and it’s an areas we vaguely looked at to settle in before our last house purchase.
Bonkers house prices here. We couldn’t afford our house if we were buying now.

Funny that...

Is that honey at least local?
Reputedly not. The honey is often marked as coming from one source (eg sunflowers) and I am lead to understand that Trading Standards have shown interest.....
She stomped into a local cafe that I supply and demanded to know why they didn't sell her honey. The owner calmly told her that they know mine is local and 'not out of a massive bucket you bought somewhere'!

Checked my newly introduced Exmoor queen had not been balled after release on the 10th.
Found her - much larger and seemingly all is well, though not too much open brood at present.
Added a clearer under one super after juggling frames.
Checked two others, but the supers need a little more time, it seems.
Found the bees are generally concentrating on building honey arches in the brood boxes, rather than completing the supers.

A challenging year continues! Inspected all my colonies - bit of a mixed bag. 2 strong colonies making swarm prep (they had attempted this back in May as well and had both requeened). Had hoped that swarming was over for the year! Another colony has a drone layer - went through them 3 times but just couldn’t find her so will try again this weekend. Seems to be a decent flow on though so every cloud.....

Hah! Was that on the Birdham Road by any chance near a Nisa store?
Yes forage is great here & bees uber busy. Took off a mini extraction of 95lbs last week and they’re still piling it in. Most hives have at least 4 supers on and they will need to be cleared soon as getting too heavy to lift.
Really feel like it’s gone from bust to boom very quickly.y
You ever so lucky beekeeper you, here in the Lancs/Yorks pennine hills we are not so fortunate, supers are not happening, I may have to buy some of your honey for my porridge

I'm there Tuesday and Thursday - I'll be at the honey show all Tuesday morning (on the WBKA stand from 10.00 to 13.00) and I'm there all day Thursday, at my leisure - apart from an hour at the Honey show at 1500 filming with S4C for the evening's big show roundup. But I won't be killing myself walking around the show as I have to take everything a lot slower nowadays.
We will maybe catch up later 👍

Those Ampulla ones are the ones I use ... fit nicely in my Lidl Jam maker as well ...
Can you provide a link to the rectangular Ampulla ones you use - I also have a Lidl jam maker. Thanks
Philip. Did you once mentioned that these fit just proud of the top of the jam maker and you had to make adjustments?

You ever so lucky beekeeper you, here in the Lancs/Yorks pennine hills we are not so fortunate, supers are not happening, I may have to buy some of your honey for my porridge
Didn’t feel lucky at the beginning of June when they ate everything they had brought in through April & May and I was putting fondant on all the hives!
We’ve had incredibly variable weather with gales and torrential rain followed by sun but the bees have been heading out at every opportunity.

Added some new supers of foundation to a couple of hives, having made the decision to wait until the end of September before extracting. Flow is going strong and we’ve lots of balsam here, although no heather sadly. Let’s see what they do…

Latest posts

Back