What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On this theme would you ever consider giving them more space, along with food, early?

Double decker nuc, spare extension available, rapidly growing colony from good starting point? Probably counterproductive in terms of temperature maintenance, not warm enough to draw comb etc... but just a thought!
I wouldn't but if you really think they need the space Nadir the new box so they have room to expand downwards - I find it seldom works as they tend to ignore it and swarm early.
what you also find at this time of year is expansion is relative, the brood nest may expand but not the population as, as soon as the new bees start to emerge the winter bees finally burn out and start dying in earnest, so you have this initial surge in brooding, a slight population increase and then it plateaus for a while.
This is also the time of year when people, who only a while ago were celebrating that their colonies had survived to the spring suddenly discover deadouts when the winter bees struggle to revert to nurse bee duties and suddenly start dying off before the queen picks up her laying rate, and also fail to maintain any brood she produces, thus we witness a classic winter dwindle (not some sudden catastrophic murrain.)

once the spring buildup starts in earnest, you have an ever expanding brood nest and colony, also the need to increase overall hive temperature for brood rearing so a rapidly increasing demand for food and no forage to speak of out there, I've seen powerful colonies starve out in a matter of days
Mine all had about 13kg of stores left when I had them hefted a week ago. How often do you reckon I need to check them? I’m out the country so got someone doing it for me…don’t want to make it too burdensome for them by asking them to do it too regularly

with that amount of stores left, you should be OK. The only ones I've 'hefted' since Christmas are some of the ones at the home apiary - but only because I had to move them off their stands for the contractors to put the drain in.

Lots of reports here that the hives are getting light. Some starvation already. We've had an unusually warm winter. Almost no snow.
Crazy warm November keeping the bees active way too late. Yesterday started out at 14˚F. Made it up to
41 by afternoon. Nice sunny day. Thought I'd better go check.
Looked at 5 apiaries. Two apiaries with 1 dead each...no feeding necessary. One apiary with 2 dead, no feeding necessary.
Spot checked two nuc apiaries. 50+ nucs in each. No dead, no feeding necessary.
So glad I weigh every hive in October and feed accordingly.
Now I can go to the Athlone Ireland meeting next week and not be worrying about starving bees. Feeling relieved.

Because it’s forecast to be wet and chilly for the next few days I thought I’d use this morning’s dry weather to check on some hives.
I replaced a few containers of fondant on light colonies and noticed the amount of bees that congregate above the crownboard in the empty container.
Obviously it’s insulated and warmed by the cluster below but wouldn’t those bees be better use in the cluster?

Because it’s forecast to be wet and chilly for the next few days I thought I’d use this morning’s dry weather to check on some hives.
I replaced a few containers of fondant on light colonies and noticed the amount of bees that congregate above the crownboard in the empty container.
Obviously it’s insulated and warmed by the cluster below but wouldn’t those bees be better use in the cluster?
I did exactly the same today, and was thinking similarly- even got a sting to the armpit from one of the blighters..

Should have done my jacket up!

what you also find at this time of year is expansion is relative, the brood nest may expand but not the population as, as soon as the new bees start to emerge the winter bees finally burn out and start dying in earnest, so you have this initial surge in brooding, a slight population increase and then it plateaus for a while.
This is also the time of year when people, who only a while ago were celebrating that their colonies had survived to the spring suddenly discover deadouts when the winter bees struggle to revert to nurse bee duties and suddenly start dying off before the queen picks up her laying rate, and also fail to maintain any brood she produces, thus we witness a classic winter dwindle (not some sudden catastrophic murrain.)
Good to know.

Checked one of my apiaries today and found 2 out of 5 had starved. I had hefted them 10days ago and all seemed fine at the time. Both dead outs were solid with bees the one in the picture also had 5 frames with bees heads in cells 😢.
I’m now topping up fondant if the container is empty unless the hive feels bolted down!
IMG_2705.jpeg

Checked one of my apiaries today and found 2 out of 5 had starved. I had hefted them 10days ago and all seemed fine at the time. Both dead outs were solid with bees the one in the picture also had 5 frames with bees heads in cells 😢.
I’m now topping up fondant if the container is empty unless the hive feels bolted down!
View attachment 39098
That’s terrible. It’s been too mild, leading to excessive consumption of stores, I think. Mine are getting through loads of fondant and I will just keep putting it on to avoid the risk of starvation.
So sorry for you, but grateful that you shared this.

Checked the fondant, two of the hives consumed all, just an empty packet in each. Going to heft before I add any more. One untouched, three working their way through.

So sorry to hear this - but thank you for sharing, and keeping us alert to what can happen.

View attachment 39098
Hell! That’s awful. 😢😢

They were just so big, I can’t remember having colonies this big this early before. They seem to have ploughed through their stores too fast.
Here’s a thought and I know how you feel 😔. Loosing a big colony is horrible to see.
I’ve got a few big colony’s and two had a super of stores a few weeks ago rather than feeding, i stress they were covering all frames in the brood box and strong enough to take the head space, It might be an option if you have honey frames.

-8c overnight.
Nice and sunny today.
Exhausted by all the bailey comb changes I have done so scheduled full inspections of nucs today. :eek:
Are you doing changes now? Advice needed, I need to replace all brood comb in 2 Brood+Half colonies. Its absolutely black and so old that some of the tabs on the frames are starting to rot 😱.
Both colonies still have plenty of stores in their super and no activity in the empty brood comb.
I've spent the last week scorching, repairing and repainting some floors, brood boxes and other assorted bits.
Is it possible that I could simply swap out the brood boxes with a new ones filled with undrawn comb? With ample stores are they able to start drawing comb when required, even though the temperature is near freezing at night? I'll be replacing floors, CB's, and roofs with the clean stuff. Thanks, this day has been a long time coming. Edit: Highland, only snowdrops blooming

Are you doing changes now? Advice needed, I need to replace all brood comb in 2 Brood+Half colonies. Its absolutely black and so old that some of the tabs on the frames are starting to rot 😱.
Both colonies still have plenty of stores in their super and no activity in the empty brood comb.
I've spent the last week scorching, repairing and repainting some floors, brood boxes and other assorted bits.
Is it possible that I could simply swap out the brood boxes with a new ones filled with undrawn comb? With ample stores are they able to start drawing comb when required, even though the temperature is near freezing at night? I'll be replacing floors, CB's, and roofs with the clean stuff. Thanks, this day has been a long time coming. Edit: Highland, only snowdrops blooming
I was joking. Don't take what I write seriously.. It was a spoof based on BBKA teaching..

I have never done a Baily comb change and have no plans to do one. It's too cold - here -just now to open a hive, let alone take out frames.. The sky is gray, slight frost, very damp, 10mph breeze and it feels like - 10C..

They were just so big, I can’t remember having colonies this big this early before. They seem to have ploughed through their stores too fast.
Some of my colonies are pretty big so I’m keeping a close eye on them. The two colonies of black bees have masses of stores. Maybe that’s the answer….. but I can’t quite bring myself to do that

Latest posts

Back