What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not apiary but did a Christmas craft fayre, my first ever market stall. Was a bit chilly but three layers of wool and a puffer jacket, plus cardboard to sit on, kept most of the cold away! Pretty much everything was handmade by me, except the honey which the bees did!

20231202_200707.jpg

Not apiary but did a Christmas craft fayre, my first ever market stall. Was a bit chilly but three layers of wool and a puffer jacket, plus cardboard to sit on, kept most of the cold away! Pretty much everything was handmade by me, except the honey which the bees did!

View attachment 38285
Hopefully you managed to sell all of your beautiful wares ,A lot of effort went into making those and would make wonderful Xmas presents .
John

Hopefully you managed to sell all of your beautiful wares ,A lot of effort went into making those and would make wonderful Xmas presents .
John
Thanks, I really appreciate that comment. Didn't sell as much as I'd hoped but was more than it could have been and I did better than a lot of people.

View attachment 38285
Looks really good Will .. what were your best sellers ?

A woodturning friend did a pre-Xmas craft fayre today near Sheffield that has always historically generated sales of between £300 & £400 ... held his prices the same prices as last year ... sold 2 keyrings and a small bowl £15 total sales in 6 hours !! It's a big 2 day fair and tomorrow is 0 degrees with a strong chance of snow - Disaster ! You did well if you sold anything.

View attachment 38285
Now that’s something to aspire to , I’m a bit of a sucker for the cone candles myself, well done will 👍

View attachment 38285
A great looking display.

View attachment 38285
That's really lovely.
I'm intrigued by the white candles.
I was at a fair yesterday and business for everybody went badly
I made £200 in 6 hours. Not worth it is it? Sad because I enjoy making the candles and setting up the stall.
Sign of the times I guess?
Oh well some of the unsold honey and candles will go to the Morriston and Singleton hospitals

That's really lovely.
I made £200 in 6 hours. Not worth it is it? Sad because I enjoy making the candles and setting up the stall.
Oh well some of the unsold honey and candles will go to the Morriston and Singleton hospitals
It’s very interesting to get people’s experience about these fairs. I only ever do one, which is in my village.
I was chatting with Will earlier and agreed with him it comes down to the general affluence of the clientele. Last week I spent 3 hours selling and turned over £450 in the village “Hub” of a reasonably affluent areas of the South East.

I did a Christmas Fayre (We do it every year and it's our only one) a few weeks back and found a difference compared to two years ago. I put the prices up a bit - the stall cost had gone up from £40 to £80 for an evening and a day. The selling difference was that I sold very few 1lb jars but plenty of 12oz and 8oz jars even though 1lb were better value. I sold about the same money's worth as the previous year but less honey for that cash and more outlay (stall, jars etc) I feel that people just have less cash or are concerned for the future. When you can sell it from your door it's barely worth the effort to set it up. It was in a marquee which dripped condensation but I was lucky it did not drip onto the stall. A guy opposite was not so lucky as he was selling pickles and chutney and lost a lot of labels - washed off.. It's a shame as I do enjoy meeting people and they seem interested in the bees and wax but may not do it next year. A couple of photos of the Fayre stall - it was L shaped with the wax products down one side and honey, tasters etc at the front

Attachments

• image_67186689.JPG
    image_67186689.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • image_67195649.JPG
    image_67195649.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Looks really good Will .. what were your best sellers ?

A woodturning friend did a pre-Xmas craft fayre today near Sheffield that has always historically generated sales of between £300 & £400 ... held his prices the same prices as last year ... sold 2 keyrings and a small bowl £15 total sales in 6 hours !! It's a big 2 day fair and tomorrow is 0 degrees with a strong chance of snow - Disaster ! You did well if you sold anything.
Best seller was honey. Sales were roughly matched between cash and card although the card machine didn't like the cold. Sales were initially very slow and not just the odd candle but then I got some matchsticks and offered people a chance to taste a bit of the honey. This is a massive game changer, I've found it 'converts' a lot of sales previously so if anyone here does stalls, I'd recommend sacrificing a jar for tasting. Wish I'd been quicker off the mark with it yesterday. While this helped with sales, I only offered people a taste and asked what they think, didn't follow up woth 'do you want to buy some', generally not needing to but also because part of my aim wasn't sales but to get people to know how good local honey tastes so the idea is in their heads. Unusually there were 2-3 people who didn't like honey both before and after but that was by far the exception. The other thing I need to sort are business cards! I hope your friend does better today.

The honey sales were mostly the type which I was offering for people to taste, even the almost identical one from a different apiary didn't sell anyway near as much so the tasting option really seems to work. I didn't have any set honey and a handful asked for that, sold a few jars of soft set and ran out ivy honey but only took four jars of that. After honey, Zettle tells me the next best seller was rhubarb and ginger scented candles and orange and cinnamon scented candles. Cash sales mean nativity tree beeswax candles and small skeps also sold similar numbers, approx. only 4-5 of each though.

Sold one beeswax wrap kit, some individual wraps and some packs. Rolled candles I had regular deep foundation variant in packs of three, usually burn for 8-10 hours each based on test burns, and cut comb deep foundation variant in packs of four at the same price, burn time usually around 5-6 hours each based on test burns. Details such as burn time and the fact the honey from my bees and pretty much everything was hand made by me seemed to make a difference to customers.

Managed to talk about food fraud to a couple and one, who had a relative that used to keep bees asked what they do in winter so I told him how they cluster to keep warm- he observed about the ones on the edge getting cold compared to the ones in the middle so I told him how bees think of the hive as the organism not the individual and so they change to a denser cluster which radiates heat more to keep the ones on the outside alive even though it has an energy cost- and said maybe humans could learn something from that! (didn't go in to the mathematical basis of altruism and genetic relatedness though!).

There were also some street preachers. As a Christian myself I respect their courage to do it though never know how much good it does- did manage to have a chat with a nearby stallholder as a result as it turns out we're both interested in the philosophy side of things so have hopefully gained a friend, and another stallholder who lamented society's loss of the ability to robustly and proudly disagree but still respect the 'other', especially in politics. There was also an amusing bit where the musicians and preacher were each turning up their speakers... Although it did get a bit loud!

My wife brought the girls for a little bit too which was a nice surprise.

Unsurprisingly as it was a Christmas market/fayre. I also got Whammed. Twice. So that's Whamageddon lost already this year!
That's really lovely.
Thanks Dani, sorry to hear your fair went worse than expected. They're supposedly sustainably sourced soy wax ('naturewax') scented candles with an NT wick. They burn for about 12-15 hours when I've tested them. I enjoyed the stall and making everything although the making did take a lot of time. I've got another shorter one at the local business park on Thursday so we'll see what else I can shift. Yesterday I was also approached by someone starting a local crafterd co-operative shop so once I've crunched the numbers that might work to shift some more stock.

@Curly green finger's @Rob H thanks both. Mark, the cone candles are one I like too but I didn't sell that many of them yesterday, perhaps one.

:eek:

Buy a box of wooden coffee stirrers off fleabay/Amazoon a few pennies well invested I found
Yes, I'd meant to but forgotten so raided the craft section of the nearest stationer and that was all they had.

Still, finally a use for those matchsticks...

That's really interesting Will ... I've done quite a few craft fairs in the past with a mixture of bee products, wood turnings and home produced jams and chutneys ... I enjoy the experience of talking direct to the customer and it never failis to surprise me how receptive people are when you talk about ingredients and how things are made. There is always a lot of interest in bees and beekeeping. I've always had a taster jar of honey on display, it's well worth the sacrifice - I use plastic coffee stirrers as taster sticks (I know -plastic - but they are washed and re-used) they give people a proper taste of the honey without giving them a spoonful, I usually have a jar of supermarket honey for comparison ... it's a rare occasion when someone prefers the supermarket stuff (usually their kids who tend to have a sweet tooth). I reckon about 1 in three tasters tend to buy a jar.

In terms of my woodturnings I've found that the catchpennies (keyrings, light pulls, single use pens etc) that generate a few pounds are impulse buys but I've picked up bigger purchases after the fair with people taking a business card and making contact subsequently. I found that having the zettle available encourages people to spend more - few people seem to like or carry any quantity of cash these days and the Zettle even takes payments from those people using their phones to pay (much to my amazement !).

It's not always economic doing these fairs - when you work out the time you spend making, attending and the stall cost, you are sometimes lucky to make even minimum wage on an hourly basis - but, on a good day it's part of the marketing mix - I have regular customers who found me at a fair - and I enjoy the contact and chat and I've never had a total disaster in ters of sales but I know, talking to other traders. that they have come away from some events losing money and it must be disappointing.

I think Neil is on the money - affluent areas will generally perform regardless of the general economic climate - but the cost of living crisis we are seeing at present must be affecting those people with linited disposable income. I haven't done any fairs this year .. lack of time, stock and inclination, the increased cost of attending and the weather - I miss it but they have never been anything other than sideline sales and a marketing opportunity, I would imagine that people who rely on them for an income are finding it very difficult.

I think Neil is on the money - affluent areas will generally perform regardless of the general economic climate - but the cost of living crisis we are seeing at present must be affecting those people with linited disposable income.

On reflection I also think my success was also due to the age of the clientele as well. The Hub is generally used by the local retired cohort for coffee and educational courses during the day. Typical grey pound possessors.

Best seller was honey. Sales were roughly matched between cash and card although the card machine didn't like the cold. Sales were initially very slow and not just the odd candle but then I got some matchsticks and offered people a chance to taste a bit of the honey. This is a massive game changer, I've found it 'converts' a lot of sales previously so if anyone here does stalls, I'd recommend sacrificing a jar for tasting. Wish I'd been quicker off the mark with it yesterday. While this helped with sales, I only offered people a taste and asked what they think, didn't follow up woth 'do you want to buy some', generally not needing to but also because part of my aim wasn't sales but to get people to know how good local honey tastes so the idea is in their heads. Unusually there were 2-3 people who didn't like honey both before and after but that was by far the exception. The other thing I need to sort are business cards! I hope your friend does better today.

The honey sales were mostly the type which I was offering for people to taste, even the almost identical one from a different apiary didn't sell anyway near as much so the tasting option really seems to work. I didn't have any set honey and a handful asked for that, sold a few jars of soft set and ran out ivy honey but only took four jars of that. After honey, Zettle tells me the next best seller was rhubarb and ginger scented candles and orange and cinnamon scented candles. Cash sales mean nativity tree beeswax candles and small skeps also sold similar numbers, approx. only 4-5 of each though.

Sold one beeswax wrap kit, some individual wraps and some packs. Rolled candles I had regular deep foundation variant in packs of three, usually burn for 8-10 hours each based on test burns, and cut comb deep foundation variant in packs of four at the same price, burn time usually around 5-6 hours each based on test burns. Details such as burn time and the fact the honey from my bees and pretty much everything was hand made by me seemed to make a difference to customers.

Managed to talk about food fraud to a couple and one, who had a relative that used to keep bees asked what they do in winter so I told him how they cluster to keep warm- he observed about the ones on the edge getting cold compared to the ones in the middle so I told him how bees think of the hive as the organism not the individual and so they change to a denser cluster which radiates heat more to keep the ones on the outside alive even though it has an energy cost- and said maybe humans could learn something from that! (didn't go in to the mathematical basis of altruism and genetic relatedness though!).

There were also some street preachers. As a Christian myself I respect their courage to do it though never know how much good it does- did manage to have a chat with a nearby stallholder as a result as it turns out we're both interested in the philosophy side of things so have hopefully gained a friend, and another stallholder who lamented society's loss of the ability to robustly and proudly disagree but still respect the 'other', especially in politics. There was also an amusing bit where the musicians and preacher were each turning up their speakers... Although it did get a bit loud!

My wife brought the girls for a little bit too which was a nice surprise.

Unsurprisingly as it was a Christmas market/fayre. I also got Whammed. Twice. So that's Whamageddon lost already this year!

Thanks Dani, sorry to hear your fair went worse than expected. They're supposedly sustainably sourced soy wax ('naturewax') scented candles with an NT wick. They burn for about 12-15 hours when I've tested them. I enjoyed the stall and making everything although the making did take a lot of time. I've got another shorter one at the local business park on Thursday so we'll see what else I can shift. Yesterday I was also approached by someone starting a local crafterd co-operative shop so once I've crunched the numbers that might work to shift some more stock.

@Curly green finger's @Rob H thanks both. Mark, the cone candles are one I like too but I didn't sell that many of them yesterday, perhaps one.
I do tasters and it does make a difference with sales the last fair we did equal sales of Hawthorne soft set and heather honey wish I had some ivy I get asked for it .

What wicks you using for you rolled foundation candles ?

We did a church fair recently as an association rather than as an individual producer - this means that we had four different label styles which helps generate a discussion about local honey. e.g. the "this honey is produced 50 yards away in that direction" always helps, also "this honey is produced by Z, who works at your school". We also have a large Asian Hornet banner which also gets people talking. So thats an advantage of being in association - you get other people to sell your honey for you.

The big seller was the half pound jars which are small enough to be "stocking fillers".

Cut comb moves but is not a big seller, and candles are very hard to shift - that could be because we dont go all in like Wilco, because they havent sold well previously! How do you get that wax so <white>?

I do tasters and it does make a difference with sales the last fair we did equal sales of Hawthorne soft set and heather honey wish I had some ivy I get asked for it .

What wicks you using for you rolled foundation candles ?
Those are NT wicks from 4candles. I'll double check but think the tests resulted in broadly similar results although I ended up using the NT27 (or 29) for regular foundation and NT20 for the cut comb variant. NT17 worked fine too. Maisemore foundation.

Latest posts

Back