What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did the rounds today, hefting hives for a bit of bee therapy. Five degrees and not too much activity apart from the Amm nucs where there was a steady stream, I can't wait to see these next year.
Checked a couple of sites I've had on the back burner, the stands are still solid and the old hive boxes I left are all safe and sound. Bit of brush clearing to get rid of some trip hazards but all good otherwise.

Randy Oliver talked about varroa treatments at the honey show. Think he’s concluding trickling has a longer term effect (days) than vaping (doesn’t last long he mentioned). Wondering if that’s why it sometimes takes more than the 4 or 5 vapes most people do…
I missed Randy’s longer lecture on varroa treatments, hopefully as first one at the show it will be out on catch-up soon
The Walrus and honeybee published a short interview with Randy Oliver yesterday, just wondering if this is part of what you were referring to:

"RO: Yeah, I’ve developed this new technique now, using titration to determine the exact amount of oxalic acid residues on bees’ bodies after treatment. I’ll be publishing this technique soon for other researchers. It’s been a tremendous eye-opener. I can treat a hive with sublimation, or trickle, or another method, then go back minute by minute, or hour by hour, to sample 10 bees. I can tell you exactly how many micrograms of oxalic acid are on each of the bee bodies. It’s a whole gear-shift as far as oxalic treatments go. Everybody has been blind up to this point, but I can now tell how much is on every bee, minute by minute. I have tracked it for up to 60 days across different treatments. It’s a monster breakthrough, and I’ve spent a lot of time on it."

https://thewalrusandthehoneybee.com/lunch-with-randy-oliver/

The Walrus and honeybee published a short interview with Randy Oliver yesterday, just wondering if this is part of what you were referring to:

"RO: Yeah, I’ve developed this new technique now, using titration to determine the exact amount of oxalic acid residues on bees’ bodies after treatment. I’ll be publishing this technique soon for other researchers. It’s been a tremendous eye-opener. I can treat a hive with sublimation, or trickle, or another method, then go back minute by minute, or hour by hour, to sample 10 bees. I can tell you exactly how many micrograms of oxalic acid are on each of the bee bodies. It’s a whole gear-shift as far as oxalic treatments go. Everybody has been blind up to this point, but I can now tell how much is on every bee, minute by minute. I have tracked it for up to 60 days across different treatments. It’s a monster breakthrough, and I’ve spent a lot of time on it."

Thanks for the link ,enjoyed reading it .John.

Similar message - a separate session on varroa management was held which I didn’t attend.

I can tell you exactly how many micrograms of oxalic acid are on each of the bee bodies. It’s a whole gear-shift as far as oxalic treatments go. Everybody has been blind up to this point, but I can now tell how much is on every bee, minute by minute. I have tracked it for up to 60 days across different treatments. It’s a monster breakthrough, and I’ve spent a lot of time on it."
Did he say why it mattered?

Did he say why it mattered?

I'd guess that it would underpin current ideas about dosage and repeat treatment intervals (where/if relevant) and allow more accurate comparison of different delivery methods. For some beeks treating with OA perhaps it may not be relevant because they work from the information we already have and are quite happy to continue doing so. Others may feel more in control or be able to work out a treatment schedule that works better for them if they have a clearer understanding of what's actually going on inside the hive in detail.

I guess the creation of a standard protocol for testing delivery of OA also means that tests can be repeated by other researchers and results compared. It might seem the obvious assumption to make for example, but there's no clear reason to believe that the same treatment protocol will have the same result in different conditions (climate/colony size/hive volume, say).

James

I reckon it's because they are terrified of sublimation over there so need justification for carrying on with trickling
I am not so sure they are terrified. Beekeepers in both the USA and Canada use OAV a lot, a few dribble treat but not many.

From the forum I am on in North America the use of OAV is the predominant varroa treatment with a few other types thrown in to mix it up a little.

-6C overnight and snowing lightly today.
No attempt to even think about doing anything for another week.
I usually vape week before Christmas.
Don't attempt to measure drops/ do nothing but one vape
(Ditto my August varroa treatment.)

My occasional erratic counts in Spring show minimal varroa drops

Shrew or mouse ?
Note how only the thorax with the highest amount of protein is being eaten. We now have a camera on the back of the hive. I’d like to know where the bees are coming from. Time will tell

I’ve had that at one colony for the past two Winters. I think it was a shrew sheltering under the pallet, under the hive, getting onto the inspection tray for his dinner of thrown out dead bees.
I tend to agree. Fascinating anyway. I hope it’s nice and cosy while it eats.

Latest posts

Back