What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that's definitely a new one on me. The first queens to emerge don't attempt to nobble their "competitor" queens in their cells then?

James
sometimes - but usually it's the workers who manipulate the whole thing.
Mind you, an unaccounted virgin in a cell raiser can cause carnage

Well, I'm honestly thinking the workers got it wrong in this case. The smaller of the two swarms is barely sufficient to cover one side of one frame. I'm not at all sure I'd rate their chances of survival in the wild. Of course they may feel the same about me putting them in a nuc :D

James

Last inspection before a mini break away.
First hive a bit tetchy due to massive amount of ants that got in under the roof & through a tiny gap in the crownboard and were pinching the honey. Cleared as many as I could & put the hive feet in bowls of water 🙄
Last hive I went through was rammed and had charged QCs so queenie is now in a nuc with frames of BIAS, stores & a drawn frame. Shook in 3 frames of nurse bees & popped it in a shady spot 4 feet away from the hive. Glad it was this hive as they are lovely & want to breed from this queen.

Attachments

• IMG_1046.jpeg
    IMG_1046.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
I've practiced picking up drones, but don't have the confidence to do it with the queen. And yesterday I was wearing marigolds so there was no chance.

James
Thank you,l am the same,l am also nervous of the tube and plunger,It’s the transfer back onto the comb,the queen might take off.

Remove plunger, just lay tube on top of frames, put something over it if you like ( cloth, crown board) and she will very quickly just walk down the comb into the hive

Yesterday l returned to a bait hive,The day before l wanted to look at everything,so l couldn’t linger Snellgrove,ing in evening for friend,so Monday all drone brood no sight of queen,l never unite,all that work,cart to end of field shake off,try to requeen,but there the queen was she died like the last queen of France.my question how common is a swarm with a drone laying queen from the start,this is the first time l’v seen it.

Remove plunger, just lay tube on top of frames, put something over it if you like ( cloth, crown board) and she will very quickly just walk down the comb into the hive
Thanks,that will work for other things give them privacy.

First hive a bit tetchy due to massive amount of ants that got in under the roof & through a tiny gap in the crownboard and were pinching the honey. Cleared as many as I could & put the hive feet in bowls of water
Never noticed ants being an issue with bees - got quite a few hives where the ants use the crown boards as nursery areas to rear the pupae.

Please verify! You are shaking out a bait hive and then try to requeen it.
I would have shook it if was laying workers.but l thought with the drone laying queen dead and the drone larvae gone l could treat them as a recently queenless lot,my interest was how common is a completely drone laying queen with a swarm.

but why take them for a walk?
I was told with laying workers,as they have never flown wouldn’t find the parent hive,l think with your comment different rules.all the bees flew in so all will fly back,maybe the queen who flew in with them would also find way back,but she died in the hive so l and they didn’t need to walk,l didn’t think they contained laying workers as the queen did the laying,l put in a frame of brood eggs pollen new foundation,feed,and will remedy later,lt was just the queen straight into drones that threw me,is that unusual.

No. Laying workers will fly home. Bees orientate at only a few days old so they know where they live.
If you shake the bees you have to remove their home entirely. The bees will beg their way into other colonies in the same site. Laying workers will stop laying and any queen will be refused entry anywhere.

was told with laying workers,as they have never flown wouldn’t find the parent hive
why wouldn't laying workers fly? it's an absolute myth you've been told

This reminds me of something I've wondered about on occasion. Clearly there's a fairly fundamental aspect of physiology for which bees leave the hive quite regularly otherwise they'd be knee-deep in no time. What happens in the case of the queen though? Does she have a "Groom of the Stool" (or several) to take care of her, err, requirements?

James

why wouldn't laying workers fly? it's an absolute myth you've been told
The thinking must be that laying workers must be very young,you would need to dissect there ovaries,perhaps it’s a myth that’s come on from the dark ages,but l still don’t know how common a drone laying swarm queen from the start is.thankyou for the help.

This reminds me of something I've wondered about on occasion. Clearly there's a fairly fundamental aspect of physiology for which bees leave the hive quite regularly otherwise they'd be knee-deep in no time. What happens in the case of the queen though? Does she have a "Groom of the Stool" (or several) to take care of her, err, requirements?

James
Some people think,wax moth larvae go on a walk about at night,never seen any myself.perhaps the queen does.But seriously the amount of work some people give the bees to clear up is unbelievable.perhaps they draw straws for looking after the queen,as she lives on royal jelly perhaps the work load is light.

Back