What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oddly the crown board was on upside down which seems an unlikely error for me to make.
I once put a box back on a hive completely upside down, so all the frames were the wrong way up. It was a modified box made up from two cut down boxes with handles that were not normal, so it wasn't impossible to make the mistake , but it was definitely me that did it. Anyway, some time later when I got back there, I found the bees had totally ignored that box and frames (for brood, pollen and honey) and were just using them as ladders to get to the box above it.

Covering themselves in so much smoke seems a bit pointless at that stage of proceedings.

Probably trying to get the bees to go back into their hives to gorge themselves on honey so they can't sting anyone. It does look a bit like being in a forest fire.

James

On Monday/ Tuesday saw first hornets.. I don't remember that it was so early.. Today I placed first " cocktail"..

Busiest day of the year at the hive entrances and I spent all day outdoors in a t-shirt. The forecast is for more of the same. I know it's very early but the temptation to have a peek inside the hives is getting quite strong. There's still not that much forage about though. Some gorse on the hill opposite flowering so heavily that I can see it even though it's half a mile away and the celandines are also starting to flower, but not much sign of anything else so I shall try to keep my powder dry for a while yet.

James

Mine were flying and pollen coming in. Not T-shirt weather though here in the Costa del Fareham. I had dungarees and a fleece on and was only warm enough because I was shredding branches I cut down a couple of weeks ago and busy. It's showers predicted here for the next few days The season has not started yet....

I have just moved 360 miles from Essex to Devon and brought 3 hives with me. I have managed to find a site for my bees in the new village. It was such a nice day yesterday I thought I would have a quick look in . 2 hives thriving, one slow to build. They are all eating through stores.
I was worried about forage having moved from an arable farming area to a mainly pasture area but one colony had a fair bit of fresh nectar. All bringing in pollen. Looking forward to this new chapter.

I have just moved 360 miles from Essex to Devon and brought 3 hives with me. I have managed to find a site for my bees in the new village. It was such a nice day yesterday I thought I would have a quick look in . 2 hives thriving, one slow to build. They are all eating through stores.
I was worried about forage having moved from an arable farming area to a mainly pasture area but one colony had a fair bit of fresh nectar. All bringing in pollen. Looking forward to this new chapter.
Enjoy your new life in Devon. It’s a beautiful place. I miss the beautiful hedgerows and tiny lanes.

Duck - INCOMING! 🤣🤣🤣🎳

Latest posts

Back