What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watched bees attempting to drown themselves in drinker beside greenhouse - despite sponge and twigs and string to prevent that.

Watched the light rain .. decided to weed and feed grass before it rained properly. Job done - rained overnight... moss nicely black to show bits missed. Redid the missing bits this am.

All set up for snow and frost. No bees out today.

What does "drought" mean?:D

Got up early to put a hivestrap onto the wood/poly combo hive (thanks MikeA!)

Occured to me that while I dont imagine a laden poly super is hugely different in weight to a cedar version, the roof is considerably lighter.

Given the winds forecast from tonight- put a concrete block on top of the cedar hive.

My plywood supers and roofs weigh about the same as a concrete block anyway.

"On Sunday I stood in a 50 acre field of OSR that was visibly wilting"

are they short of professional scarecrows in warwickshire?

Looks as if my gamble to put supers on over the crownboard has paid off. I was worried about the cold weather making heating additional space tricky but expansion room was needed at the same time.
Result after 5 days is half filled supers despite some coldish days in Suffolk. I will have a lot to do at the weekend in terms of supers, combines and BB swaps IF the weather is warm enough.
The good news is it's just started to rain:hurray:
Cazza

teeming with rain here this evening.

In anticipation of the desperately needed water resulting in a decent flow from the acres and acres of yellow blooms with in a mile or so radius i painted a couple of MB poly nat supers for my strongest hive and assembled a corresponding batch of manley frames for them.

hopefully the weather first thing won't be too bad for a rapid supering (and a quick peek through the polycarbonate crownboards of my other colonies).

Last edited:
After watching the rain yesterday, walked two miles this am in sleet/snow..
Left heater on in greenhouse and fleece over seedlings : going to be cold all day and frost tonight.

All hives OK despite gusts so strong at times when walking I stopped involuntarily.

Rebuilt part of wind demolished turkey pen. Turkey not best pleased...

Lots of rain last night and bees are out and pretty busy today.

put out bait hives and dusted of two nationals for new coloneys

changed omf as old one getting a bit messy and a few dead bees on it im guessing a little to cold for the bees to bring out their dead, hive is getting heavier now

Latest posts

Back