What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked four suspect colonies that proved to have drone laying queens - a winter loss of four out of fifteen - all queens were from 2011. Then reversed and forgot I had the trailer on the car - not a happy day!

P F

but I am close to needing supers what ever the temperature is likely to be.

That's the problem. I had to super one colony on seven frames of brood filling available space with nectar even though we have minus figures overnight forecast next week. I dreamed last night that I had a brainwave and covered the hive with a hot water tank jacket :rolleyes:

Inspected 10 colonies over past few days. All building up steadily but none anywhere near needing a super. Plenty of room to lay but i think the winter bees as dying off nearly as fast as the new ones are emerging.

That's the problem.

Too right, I am off for a weeks sun next Thursday. I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that I am going to have to super and try and off set heat loss by putting my winter insultaion boards back on top the supers - doesn't help with the space thay have to keep warm of course - strange season start this is turning out to be!

:eek:

Inspected 10 colonies over past few days. All building up steadily but none anywhere near needing a super. Plenty of room to lay but i think the winter bees as dying off nearly as fast as the new ones are emerging.
Mmmm I nearly asked you what your situation was.
The poly colony is behind the cedar one, which I expected.
These bees are a pain. Swarmed three times last year.
They were sold to me as local bees but I am beginning to wonder!!!!

Inspected the 2 colonies at home today. The best so far. Jumbo has 5.5 frames of brood, plenty bees, all from a 2010 queen which has been oxaliced twice in her life. Std. L/ s has 5 frames too, but it was a mid-season nuc last year. Planning to breed some queens this year so will be looking to give some out locally for feedback. Some way off yet though.

took advantage of the cold morning and moved a nuc from and out Apiary to their new apiary

however I was challenged by a walker who wanted to know if the owner had given permission for me to have bees there.....massive new fence and gate witha padlock on which she saw me unlocked, should have been enough proof but i politlely told her yes they had...and she kept repeating the question,,,until i said do you want the owners phone number, to ask them,,,,and she said no...and walked off...obviously does not like bees...or did not like men in white suits and wellies

only 6c at 9:00, and by 2:00 it was 11c and still only a few toilet flight, no foraging

Please Stop

Don't ask me why but I do not like this thread its too big could someone please stop it and start a new one so today means at least this month.

I know

I know its just me being totally daft!!! I like this thread but it just annoys me that its so long. No logical reason and obviously I am at a loose end or would not be writing this. The weather is a bit cold and I can't do the inspection I had planned. Mind you I inspected my hives last week and they are fine so I really dont have a very good reason to inspect except to see how they are progressing. They both have five frames of bees with stores and brood at all stages. I also did a mite check and the drop was two on each floor which I believe is ok. I have a million other things I should be doing but am procasterating - thats probably spelt wrong. Best bet is to just ignore my twittering ---- perhaps I should start tweeting, thats like talking to yourself which is really what I feel I am doing right now!!

Hi Susan
Why not change your settings so you see the last post first at the top of the page? Then it's easy to scroll down to the last one you read?
Cazza

Personally I just click on first unread and it takes me to where I left off. Simple enough.

Plum blossom's out

I've been watching my bees enjoy the plum blossom in my garden which is just lovely at the moment. I've attached a photo.
Earlier on today I cleaned some wax in readiness to make a batch of skin cream.

Bees today finally laid to rest the adage " when the ambient temp is 14C they cluster".
It didnt get above 9C in the shade here today, but the bees were looking out at 9am at 2C and by the time it was 4C they were out. At 2pm they were in high gear, the air round the Q+ hive thick with bees....

On the down side the mite count in 24 hours was high ... a shook swarm when the forecast changes.

The geriatics in the other hive(Q-) were transferred to a Nuc, a few hundred of year 2011 still going.

Had a quick look through a hive and disaster 4 emergency queen cells no eggs in hive, no queen must of accidently nipped her or theyve maby balled her or something else.. Now united with another hive

Went to feed the 3 hives today and was totally gob smacked, in 10 days they have eaten all the new batch of fondant and made comb and stored honey in the plastic containers the fondant was in, on inspection of the hives one is totally blocked with honey and pollen and the other 2 are not far behind. Did not know bees to move so quick in 10 days on 14 x 12 frames, time for supers tomorrow. Anyone know how to store syrup feed ?

Latest posts

Back