What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The breeders aren’t pure mated but there Carnica based from selected lines. There is a variation in colour as in the breeders workers, there mated in a good drone saturated areas I guess if your rearing as many as she is you can do that! I suspect there’ll be more variation than if I was rearing from station mated or II queens, but the breeders are excellent in terms of temper brood pattern and very quiet on the comb. There very similar in look to the Hawian Carnica and they were excellent bees/colonies.

Watched grey skies yesterday
Watched grey skies and rain today.
Going to watch grey skies and rain tomorrow

Another fabulously sunny day down here in the Queen of the Suburbs. Quick check on the two most prolific and plenty of bees and BIAS. Probably the equivalent of 3 of the 4 supers are capped and so will leave it another 2 or 3 weeks and then take the supers off. Forage seems to be scraps in gardens now. The varroa load in hive 3 has quickly got out of control so am clearing one of the brood boxes and the supers today and will treat immediately.

Watched grey skies yesterday
Watched grey skies and rain today.
Going to watch grey skies and rain tomorrow
We've just had a couple of hours of showers interspersed with light drizzle. Not enough to do much good but the dust in the yard has turned to just sufficient mud to stick to my boots.

Finally filled and posted my national honey monitoring scheme samples - I've had the sample kit for a couple of weeks now but kept forgetting to take the tubes with me when inspecting. Seemed a shame to damage a good chunk of a frame to get the samples when I could have used extracted honey, but the bees'll fix it.

Wow!!!!! Absolutely delighted with how many jars of honey we extracted, total of 132. Mostly from two hives. Just run out of jars. Bit scary though as one of our jars had a shard of glass inside, only by chance we heard it as we opened the lid. Wouldn't want to think of the injury it could have caused, or our reputation, lesson learned
🐝🐝🐝🐝

Attachments

• IMG-20220724-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20220724-WA0006.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 0
Wow!!!!! Absolutely delighted with how many jars of honey we extracted, total of 132. Mostly from two hives. Just run out of jars. Bit scary though as one of our jars had a shard of glass inside, only by chance we heard it as we opened the lid. Wouldn't want to think of the injury it could have caused, or our reputation, lesson learned
🐝🐝🐝🐝
That’s a bit scary!
But well done you - and your bees!
I thought I was doing well with 31 lbs from one super.

Attachments

• 09D98CA3-7592-4938-A28C-4F90EEF478CE.jpeg
    09D98CA3-7592-4938-A28C-4F90EEF478CE.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
🐝🐝🐝🐝
I had a hex jar with broken corner once so always wash mine inverted in the dish washer. The consequences of glass shard on toast is horrendous.

That's not good. At what stage did you find this shard? Was it a new jar? Before or after washing it? Thanks for sharing that it can happen!
A new pack of jars and found it a wee took off the lid the moment before we opened the valve to fill with honey!!!

🐝🐝🐝🐝
always run mine through the dishwasher even if i think they are clean...... just in case.....

Back