What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked on a small colony in the out apiary whose queen appears to have not made it back from mating. Decided to unite with one of the other hives as they were being hammered by wasps and had no stores left.
All other colonies ok but the stack of supers are getting higher and I now have only one spare as they’re still not capped. Frustrating!
Check uncapped water content with refractometer and extract if less than 20% .

removed all supers
Last week I drove into my (hidden) Surrey apiary and noticed a colony with only one super. Had more minutes of panic than was reasonable, convinced I'd left it with stack of four, but then realised (seasonally fatigued brain) that previously I'd done a split and all was in order.

Once at a London contract site - caged and locked on an estate - someone got in and went through one of the two colonies. I could tell because the entire stack was out of line. They didn't take anything and it didn't recur.

For an entire summer (years ago) I used to find the tiny shed door on my Walthamstow allotment open and a chair inside; all the tools were put outside. Once or twice a hive roof was left ajar and combs fiddled. Clearly a hungry and homeless person had been sleeping in the shed; had I met them I'd have told them to carry on.

Checked on a small colony in the out apiary whose queen appears to have not made it back from mating. Decided to unite with one of the other hives as they were being hammered by wasps and had no stores left.
All other colonies ok but the stack of supers are getting higher and I now have only one spare as they’re still not capped. Frustrating!
There's the possibility the water content of the uncapped cells is low enough to extract anyway. Does it pass the shake test or have you got a refractometer?

Just had a email about my General Husbandry assessment. Relieved that I’ve passed. Was a lot of prep, will be having a break from exams & assessment to enjoy my beekeeping for a while! 😊

Moderator's Report

I am delighted that you have passed your General Husbandry Assessment.

You did well with all the tasks. The assessors said you were well prepared and good throughout.
There were no weak areas so well done especially as it was such a hot day.

We wish you all the best with your beekeeping.

There's the possibility the water content of the uncapped cells is low enough to extract anyway. Does it pass the shake test or have you got a refractometer?
I have a refractometer so I’m going to test this week. Most frames are about half capped at the moment. I pulled them off too early last year and had to slowly dry out the honey in a low oven for 48 hours. The sample I sent to NHMS was 19% so just squeaked in under the 20% mark 😳

Just had a email about my General Husbandry assessment. Relieved that I’ve passed. Was a lot of prep, will be having a break from exams & assessment to enjoy my beekeeping for a while! 😊

Moderator's Report

You did well with all the tasks. The assessors said you were well prepared and good throughout.

Huge congratulations 🥳

Moderator's Report

Well done you. It proves the assessors knew what they were doing!🤗

Just taken my first proper sting of the season, on my neck just beneath my left ear. Thought I’d check on the wasp situation and got zapped by a bee instead, when about ten yards from the hives. I think they’re a little grouchy being aggravated by the wasps. The bees have been really gentle all season and approaching as I did today, has not been an issue.....until today.

Cracking on with extracting today, later start than planned because the builder was here re-fixing all the rainwater goods and waste pipes.
Should have started over the weekend but the Gower show beckoned after a two year break and the honey show had to be supported. Finally met up with Jeff33 and spent much of the day (to SWMBO's eye rolling) chatting about bees and 'stuff', did pretty well in the show with a flurry of firsts and some seconds and thirds, topped up with 'special' rosettes awarded by the agricultural show president, including another first in the commercial class, I entered my Demarree floor as well after Jeff asked me to and was a bit miffed to come second to a bog standard hive stand made from scrap wood.
I was wondering why Gill (who organises the whole show) was so insistent we went to the presentation at the close - to be called up to finally collect the challenge cup for the most point that day, something I always seem to come a close second (SWMBO muttered something about that being a change as well)
fb.jpgfb2.jpgfb3.jpgfb4.jpgfb5.jpgfb6.jpgfb7.jpg

Cracking on with extracting today, later start than planned because the builder was here re-fixing all the rainwater goods and waste pipes.
Should have started over the weekend but the Gower show beckoned after a two year break and the honey show had to be supported. Finally met up with Jeff33 and spent much of the day (to SWMBO's eye rolling) chatting about bees and 'stuff', did pretty well in the show with a flurry of firsts and some seconds and thirds, topped up with 'special' rosettes awarded by the agricultural show president, including another first in the commercial class, I entered my Demarree floor as well after Jeff asked me to and was a bit miffed to come second to a bog standard hive stand made from scrap wood.
I was wondering why Gill (who organises the whole show) was so insistent we went to the presentation at the close - to be called up to finally collect the challenge cup for the most point that day, something I always seem to come a close second (SWMBO muttered something about that being a change as well)
View attachment 33226View attachment 33227View attachment 33228View attachment 33229View attachment 33230View attachment 33231View attachment 33232
Congratulations, well deserved

Congratulations! Sounds like a great haul.

View attachment 33226View attachment 33227View attachment 33228View attachment 33229View attachment 33230View attachment 33231View attachment 33232
Well done Emyr. Time for a new hat !

Well done Emyr. Time for a new hat !
goodness no! that's just been run in, I've only had it about twenty years, and probably worth double what I paid for it then. I bought it from a company called Denewear down in Hampshire. Can't remember if it was the game fair at Romsey or Stratfield Saye. The gentleman who sold me it (now sadly died) said it was a much sought after hat new, but the older it got the more its worth. It's an Australian Akubra rabbit fur felt hat. SWMBO actually bought me two Stetsons when she was out touring America (one travel hat for Africa) but the Akubra is still my favourite

goodness no! that's just been run in, I've only had it about twenty years, and probably worth double what I paid for it then. I bought it from a company called Denewear down in Hampshire. Can't remember if it was the game fair at Romsey or Stratfield Saye. The gentleman who sold me it (now sadly died) said it was a much sought after hat new, but the older it got the more its worth. It's an Australian Akubra rabbit fur felt hat. SWMBO actually bought me two Stetsons when she was out touring America (one travel hat for Africa) but the Akubra is still my favourite
Takes a while to get stuff properly worn in and comfortable.🙂

Takes a while to get stuff properly worn in and comfortable.🙂
when I was buying it he said that a little while previously someone had stolen his hat off the peg in the pub, it was well over ten years old and he was gutted - he said that's the age they become more desirable and tend to get stolen.
My made to order Veldtschoen shoes are almost as old and whenever I take them to the cobblers for a 'service' his eyes light up and he says 'ah, proper shoes for a change!'

Back