What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been away to Exeter for the last few days. Ivy is not quite flowering there yet but it's been out around me for a couple of weeks now. Strange year this..............

I’ve not found any ivy in flower around here yet, so I’m surprised it’s flowering in Fareham. I assumed it would flower later for you than me. Mine are taking in lots of yellow pollen which infers ivy ( I think) but despite four mile dog walks, I’ve still not seen any in flower.
I did find a field of what appeared to be rape, yesterday, about a mile away from the apiary. Would this be rape or some other lookalike crop??
The Ivy in my garden is not in flower yet ... usually second week in October when it blooms but there must be a variety somewhere in the area that they have found because the smell of the ripening is unmistakenly that rather sickly sweet smell you get with Ivy ....

The Ivy in my garden is not in flower yet ... usually second week in October when it blooms but there must be a variety somewhere in the area that they have found because the smell of the ripening is unmistakenly that rather sickly sweet smell you get with Ivy ....
Ah that’s where you have the advantage over me - I’ve largely lost my sense of smell.
On the plus side I could say, I don’t smell.......

Ah that’s where you have the advantage over me - I’ve largely lost my sense of smell.
On the plus side I could say, I don’t smell.......

Flanagan and Allen ..

Flanagan:
My dogs got no nose ...

Allen:
How does he smelll ?

Flanagan:
Bloody awful ....

Fed everything after three days of semi perpetual rain and 12C maximum, Central Heating on
One weak hive and two mini nucs -UFEs all - died from wasps.
Rest look OK.

Ivy flowering starts here late October - too cold to have impact on bees. HB still coming in but not much.

Bees going mad for ivy, and taking syrup. Did my bit to shut up the eco-loons and free up the motorways by insulating my part of Britain; at least, all my hives.

IMG_20210930_145505.jpgWent through some boxes that had been cleaned up by the bees two wax moth grubs in one frame the others were fine.
I've moved them to there winter storage and will probably bomb them not literally.
Set up apiary 12 IMG_20210929_124227.jpg
Jarred honey and took my readings from the varroa samples I'm collecting from 9 colonys 4 of which have OA strips these are 4 colonys I did in the spring.
The other 5 in the apiary have apivar and haven't been treated all season.

All the nucs containing the new queens have been put off lay by the Apiguard, even though I did half the dose. Might have to give them some brood from the main hives. They were also low on stores so given fondant.
Main hives are filling well with the ivy and probably will not need feeding

Removed rapid feeders, (told them that’s all they’re getting), added celotex under poly roof and declared them Winter ready.

Managed to get round 4 of 5 apiaries and back in time for the girls' school fair, most colonies doing well, although one seems to have gone Q- and has a few QCs... I think they've missed their chance so likely to unite them. Many others don't need feeding, nucs all completely packed with stores. Almost time to think about bringing the further colonies back in for the winter to make feeding/access easier... Hopefully with more success than the one I moved earlier this week which had made a hole in their floor and decided to explore my car en route...

So do you boil the soda with a gas ring under the sink ??
there are two 3kw heaters built into the sink. It is an old school pan washing sink.
I set them at 85 degrees to melt the wax and the soda dissolves the propolis. Makes the meter spin for 1/2 hour while it heats up though.
The left sink is a rinse, with a little vinegar in it. (or lemon juice if any have grown in the greenhouse...too bitter for anything else)

Last edited:
View attachment 28561Went through some boxes that had been cleaned up by the bees two wax moth grubs in one frame the others were fine.
I've moved them to there winter storage and will probably bomb them not literally.
Set up apiary 12 View attachment 28560
Jarred honey and took my readings from the varroa samples I'm collecting from 9 colonys 4 of which have OA strips these are 4 colonys I did in the spring.
The other 5 in the apiary have apivar and haven't been treated all season.
Just out of interest ... what is that in the entrance ?

Attachments

• curly hive.jpg
    curly hive.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 49

Latest posts

Back