What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Removed the supers from the orchard, one was still half full of bees for some reason so left it on and will get it when I gather them up this week for returning home.

Built up ten underfloor entrances. Just need a second coat of paint. I was briefly watching Stewart Spinks and came across a neat idea for plugging the sublimox holes in the floors, he used a golf tee which are cheap and have a convenient handle end too.
A golf tee
How enterprising.
I must try that.
Thanks

came across a neat idea for plugging the sublimox holes in the floors, he used a golf tee which are cheap and have a convenient handle end too.
Finally found a use for golf!! (apart from keeping people with apalling dress sense off the streets :D)

Would you like to elucidate?
I find that even in my library of obscure out of print publications I don't seem to have that one.
What about the 'many others' you mention?
I suggest you get yourself a copy it is a must read!

I suggest you get yourself a copy it is a must read!
By your answer, I take it you have a copy - enlighten us all as to what it says on page 197
I suggest you are struggling to qualify your statement regards supersedure.
If you haven't the conviction to demonstrate to the forum how you get to your conclusion.

Right .... we've got the answer but it's so long ago I've forgotten the question - mind you ... anything beyond 10 minutes and after 1969 is usually a bit hazy anyway.

On a more serious note and with Storm Francis heading in for the next few days I had a look at the white queen nuc ... it's stuffed with bees and it's going to have to go into a hive ... but not today - and probably not for a few days ... some stores in the box but I slapped a feeder on with Invert just to make sure. I'd hate to starve them .. lovely black bees. Already started having a go at it as I closed them up,

Right .... we've got the answer but it's so long ago I've forgotten the question
Generally speaking in the literature, early in the year supersedure is thought to be to do with something wrong with the queen whilst late supersedure is thought to be to do with too late in the season to swarm. Thereof late supersedure is seen as an attractive trait for the beekeeper and the bees I guess as the colony can go into winter with a young queen.
So, although early supersedure is more commonplace, it can happen at any time during the season - no mention of late supersedure being down to being too late to swarm. Can be down to less pheremone especially in older queens
Therefore looks like it's usually down to queen failure or defect whether it's early or late season.

So, although early supersedure is more commonplace, it can happen at any time during the season - no mention of late supersedure being down to being too late to swarm. Can be down to less pheremone especially in older queens
Therefore looks like it's usually down to queen failure or defect whether it's early or late season.

I didn’t intend to quote you Jenks, it’s an error. But as I have and can’t undo it, I have to say you are an old pedant😀
Therefore... back to what was done in the apiary...
I tracked down a pretty big wasp colony, in the ground by the school field. Gave it weed wand down the tunnel, twice, then after the smoke cleared, a watering can of soapy water, then plugged the tunnel with an apple.
I could hear the cheering from the apiary.
The bees were getting a little fractious today after so many days under attack.
I hope that will make a difference.

Ooooops!
page 198
11353A2B-B8C6-4B09-8BE5-25F33DECB5ED.jpeg
well every day you learn something different.

Yesterday I took off 5 supers from one of my sites. what I did not know is that there was a few lime trees nearby.
I extracted them this morning using a hot air gun which I have been doing for some years (i saw it being done that way when I worked in the USA) the honey is so light I thought it was Borage. It was beautiful and is now selling like hot cakes.
I wonder if the honey you have might have been from phacelia.it is very pale , similar to borage honey and tastes great.

Just extracted my supers as the flow has stopped and they were starting to eat it. The worst harvest I have ever had. About 90 lb from 6 production colonies. At least all hives are strong and healthy. Water content 18.5 in capped honey. 19.5 in uncapped. Never seem to get a water content lower than 18.5 here, unlike some who report much lower

Just extracted my supers as the flow has stopped and they were starting to eat it. The worst harvest I have ever had. About 90 lb from 6 production colonies. At least all hives are strong and healthy. Water content 18.5 in capped honey. 19.5 in uncapped. Never seem to get a water content lower than 18.5 here, unlike some who report much lower
90Lb of honey!......and here is me thinking Ive done exceptionally well at just over 42Lb.
Respect!

Latest posts

Back