What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made some eke's
Treatments on
Fed some - mainly to help draw out some foundation in the brood box
Spent a fortune at Thorne's

Started work on storing kit. Frames in the freezer. Boxes in to paint. Scorch out and then will be wrapped and stacked for the winter.

Attachments

• IMG_20200831_153722.jpg
    IMG_20200831_153722.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
I found my first mouse this season in a hive today, nest well underway :)
Please excuse my ignorance, I have read in the past about grids or entrance reducers to keep mice out of hives. But just cant get my mind around this "mouse thing" , what kind of mice do you guys have in the UK????
How can a mouse climb into a bee hive and not get destroyed immediately ?
I do understand that the European Bees are a bit more docile but really....
is there something I'm missing, some sort of symbiotic relationship?

Please excuse my ignorance, I have read in the past about grids or entrance reducers to keep mice out of hives. But just cant get my mind around this "mouse thing" , what kind of mice do you guys have in the UK????
How can a mouse climb into a bee hive and not get destroyed immediately ?
I do understand that the European Bees are a bit more docile but really....
is there something I'm missing, some sort of symbiotic relationship?
Field mouse
They creep in when the bees are in cluster.

Yes. They trash combs where they nest build. Predators? Yes. Foxes owls mustelids.
Thanks for reply,,, Ill just chalk this one up to another one of natures mysteries, why would bees tolerate this?
Nature will keep us guessing..... I guess..

So sneaky but very brave.... no predators ? Out of interest, do these mice cause havoc inside, damage to comb, honey or brood?
This is a predator who so far has dispatched 9 of them since May

Attachments

• 3F01E249-A5CD-446D-9155-840985CC33EA.jpeg
    3F01E249-A5CD-446D-9155-840985CC33EA.jpeg
    834.4 KB · Views: 14
I found my first mouse this season in a hive today, nest well underway :)
My cat was installed in May and she has been in the job (after my shock discovery of an entire box of frames being nibbled by Mr Gourmet mouse) and dispatched 9 rodents.
I would not be without my cat now

Ok, I'm seeing a lot of bees coming in to my hives with this white (I'm colour-blind so I think it's white) on their thorax. I'm guessing it's just pollen but it's very pronounced even when they don't appear to be carrying pollen on their legs. There are three bees (with maybe a smattering on a fourth) in the left of the photo showing it while the one with orange / yellow? pollen just entering the hive didn't show anything on her thorax at all. It's my first year back to beekeeping after 30 years away due to ill health so I've pretty much forgotten everything I learned all that time ago. It's soooo good to be back though.

1598913201018.png

They usually sneak in when the bees are in the winter cluster - half asleep
I reckon if I catch a mouse in one of my hives that survives the ordeal... Im going to build him a house of his own and feed him every day... I may even call him Sir !

Went through my main apiary changing the Apigard. All ten hives are bursting with bees, getting heavy with stores and bringing in pollen. Much busier than they were when the supers were on!

Latest posts

Back