What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked yesterdays grafts. 30%!! Ye gods I can do better than that! I guess I was having an off day and didn't know it!

Seems to be nectar in any available cell at the moment. The double decker nucs are beginning to look a bit stuffed so moved one up into a hive and will need to return tomorrow with more stuff to do another one and they will both need a super.
Added two supers to the Amm ex Demarree. They had four and they were full to the brim with quite a bit of comb between the boxes also dripping with honey so I thought I'd better check how things were in the brood box. She is laying well but still nectar being dumped anywhere for now hence my decision to add two new ones.
Her red mark is gone now but I won't renew it, she always pops up to say hello what a gorgeous, black goddess.
So another trip tomorrow with more supers. Surprisingly, not as hot as I thought it was going to be, a gentle breeze and dappled shade saved the day.

After my inspection at the weekend found that one of my nucs was very full (all frames full of BIAS) I decided today to upgrade them into a full size hive. Signs are positive at the moment as they were very good tempered, I has expected a bit more aggression with all the switching around - but they probably enjoyed the cooling air of the roof being removed haha

Also put a mated queen into one of my nucs (caged). Had left the nuc locked up for a day but didn't want to leave it any longer as it is so warm.

I think I was only in my suit for about 20 minutes and my clothes were sopping wet, it looked like I had gone for a swim fully clothed!

A very good question. One that I asked the guy that suggested it - then instantly regretted it and let them out. I should have asked that very question before I just did it but I have not introduced a mated queen before (previously I just raise via nuc) and just accepted the process as explained by him.

But to answer the question, he stated the theory was that they are less likely to go back to their old hive if this is done due to losing their old hive smell / memory. I haven't done this with any other nuc's I have raised so do not intend to do this again.

I spent most of my time worrying that they would overheat to be honest. If a few bees go back to their previous hive, so bee it (sorry couldn't resist), there will be new emerging imminently and they have stores etc.

Basically i think I fell for the old ' ask two beekeepers the same question and you will get three answers'.

Went through 3 hives and two nuc’s. One queenless hive now has a laying queen along with one of my nuc’s. 2nd nuc I think has a queen but not laying yet. Removed a brood frame with charged queen cells to put into a queenless hive or test to see if it actually is queenless and put two charged queen cups into my apedia.

A very good question. One that I asked the guy that suggested it - then instantly regretted it and let them out. I should have asked that very question before I just did it but I have not introduced a mated queen before (previously I just raise via nuc) and just accepted the process as explained by him.

But to answer the question, he stated the theory was that they are less likely to go back to their old hive if this is done due to losing their old hive smell / memory. I haven't done this with any other nuc's I have raised so do not intend to do this again.

I spent most of my time worrying that they would overheat to be honest. If a few bees go back to their previous hive, so bee it (sorry couldn't resist), there will be new emerging imminently and they have stores etc.

Basically i think I fell for the old ' ask two beekeepers the same question and you will get three answers'.

That is taken into account when making up the nuc by shaking in more bees. Any flying bees will leave but you have a lot of nurse bees that will progress to forager and they will know their home.
Shutting them in can have awful consequences.

That is taken into account when making up the nuc by shaking in more bees. Any flying bees will leave but you have a lot of nurse bees that will progress to forager and they will know their home.
Shutting them in can have awful consequences.

Upon reflection, that was my thought too, hence abandoning that approach and doing it as I have previously.

Just knocked up 50 super frames.... I wouldn't recommend it at these temperatures! The foundation is like a piece of wet dish cloth!

I just loosely stuff some fresh grass in the entrance, it wilts in a few hours and the act of pushing their way out seems to settle most of them in the nuc - I had the luxury of sitting down watching them do it this season, they were out in a few hours.

Today :sunning::sunning::sunning::sunning:
Sat in the garden watching the bees come and go from the hives.
Made up some super frames to have boxes prepared - ever the optimist;)

There seems to be so many more insects in the garden this year, but I've not seen a European hornet since April.

You'll need that umbrella today Poot,
This morning I've put 12 supers on various colonys before I go to work, the girls are busy at 6am.
I love these summer mornings there good for the soul, I hope you have a good day!

55% take on my second round of grafts, better than the first but much more practice needed. I need to sit down and play a bit first before I start for real.

Added a second super to the swarm of black bees that arrived at the beginning of the month. Not sure I can call them a swarm anymore as they are well and truly established with the queen laying beautifully.

Didn't have enough wax for the super frames, so have cut wax strips to guide them and positioned each one between drawn frames. Hopefully it won't end in disaster!

Good flow on here today, hives are humming, added a few more supers.

Went through a hive a second time looking for a queen that I marked this year, shes eluded me again. Seen a few eggs in QC so I'm going try again.

Stood in the apiary just as the sun was going down .. listening to that low generator hum and letting the scent of ripening honey flow over me. No idea what they are finding but there's one heck of a flow on at present ... will be up early tomorrow to knock up some super frames as I've run out .. the last small pile of my spare supers looks a bit worrying as well ...

Added a second super to the swarm of black bees that arrived at the beginning of the month. Not sure I can call them a swarm anymore as they are well and truly established with the queen laying beautifully.

Didn't have enough wax for the super frames, so have cut wax strips to guide them and positioned each one between drawn frames. Hopefully it won't end in disaster!

Hi Emily, how did you get on sourcing some more bee's?

Not in the apiary exactly, but was up at half four to let out the chickens so decided to make the most of the Maisemore sale (before you could all beat me to it), and ended up spending all of the honey money back on the bees again. Hopefully the order will arrive quickly as I'm running out of supers!

Just placed my order with Maisies too. I hope the delivery backlog isn't too long - I'm clean out of supers.

Back