What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
checked mine about midday the sun is now barely getting over the trees in front, all was well. All hives had bees on the go didnt see any pollen coming in. Did a local christmas craft fair yestaday sold over 30 jars very happy with that. :)

went to the farm to check my over winter set of bees to find that, one, the frendly farm died last week and two me and my bees are to be evicted post haste. as i always said the son did not like bee keepers i have also to my cost found when shifting all my hive three cans of fly spray with there lids taped open near one of the dead hives, to which no one knew any thing about it. so from six hives two weeks ago I am now only having to move 4 alive and two dead ones and will be looking for a new out apiary over the winter as well

Thats tough Pete, dont need it at this time of year. Good luck with finding a new home for them.

found when shifting all my hive three cans of fly spray with there lids taped open near one of the dead hives
Might be worth a check on the spray can contents and a check of anything else lying around the farm that may have been used in or near them. If practical of course, might not be able to do more than rescue what bees you can.

Lots of nasty stuff about farms and some of it persists, you wouldn't want it affecting any of the splits you might make next year. If someone's been using stuff irresponsibly, proceed with caution re-using anything from an assassinated hive.

Good luck with next year.

Hefted all my hive is a 60miles round trip, minus 1c on max/min thermometer even on my London hives

average weight drop on a spring balance for the month was 10lb canter levered on one side of the hive, so a loss of 20lbs of stores per hive ......decided to feed 1k of fondant now.........time to make more fondant

I wonder what the RSPCA would make of a report of a "farmer" murdering thousands of bees with fly spray................Pity there is not a lot can be done about the muppet though:(

this morning bright and early i moved the first hive to a new apiary site

A nice clearing on edge of a wood that the land owner has cleared the brambles off ( if brambles like it so will the bees) small village to the north and OSR to south and East ( 400acres within 2miles) , mixed arable and woodlands to north

South facing at top of small ridge, shaded from midday sun by a large Oak tree, Yet to put up some deer fencing to keep out stray animal and Dog walkers

I may move a couple more up later to see how the summer forage is , water may be a problem as nearest all year round pond is 400yds away

I went, I looked, I heard nothing and saw nothing................Will be having a proper look tomorrow and putting a load of fondant in............On the subject of fondant, here is a bit of totally free advice...........When one has boiled the sugar etc and did the whisking bit and one is then spooning said fondant out of pot into tray with wooden spoon, do NOT forget what one is spooning and try to remove said rather hot fondant from said wooden spoon with ones left fore finger, or ANY finger for that matter, I say this for a VERY good reason..................it fricken well HURTS!!!!!!!:(

When one has boiled the sugar etc and did the whisking bit and one is then spooning said fondant out of pot into tray with wooden spoon, do NOT forget what one is spooning and try to remove said rather hot fondant from said wooden spoon with ones left fore finger, or ANY finger for that matter, I say this for a VERY good reason..................it fricken well HURTS!!!!!!!:(
Been there done that , got the tshirt .
I'll add to your advice .
Have a bowl of cold water handy , sprinkle a few drops on the kneading surface , moisten your hands with cold water before kneading , should you find the temperature of the fondant too high for your pinkies, make sure the aforesaid bowl is always within reach :D
VM

Well all mine were flying strongly today - 14 degrees, no sign of clustering at all....

oh and I need to cut back the ground crawling brambles....tripped over two of the *&*&*&&& things ....

never a dull moment in Wiltshire

regards

S

Well all mine were flying strongly today - 14 degrees, no sign of clustering at all....

oh and I need to cut back the ground crawling brambles....tripped over two of the *&*&*&&& things ....

never a dull moment in Wiltshire

regards

S

Been to check on the fondant today, all OK. Some still flying and bringing in whitish pollen. Agree about the brambles, mine are surrounded on three sides with it. honey tastes good though!:)

Been there done that , got the tshirt .
I'll add to your advice .
Have a bowl of cold water handy , sprinkle a few drops on the kneading surface , moisten your hands with cold water before kneading , should you find the temperature of the fondant too high for your pinkies, make sure the aforesaid bowl is always within reach :D
VM

Thank you for your very sage advice Sir, this shall implimented post haste for the next time not worthy

John

Very carefully moved 4 hives today!

3 from home apiary to an out apiary and one from my brother's house to the home apiary.

Went very well as far as I could tell.

Sat watching the hive today and seen three bees walk out then back in with very deformed wings. Should I be worried about this at the moment?

I went, I looked, I heard nothing and saw nothing................Will be having a proper look tomorrow and putting a load of fondant in............On the subject of fondant, here is a bit of totally free advice...........When one has boiled the sugar etc and did the whisking bit and one is then spooning said fondant out of pot into tray with wooden spoon, do NOT forget what one is spooning and try to remove said rather hot fondant from said wooden spoon with ones left fore finger, or ANY finger for that matter, I say this for a VERY good reason..................it fricken well HURTS!!!!!!!:(

Ow! Found I was able to do the first stage of the kneading simply by pressing and turning with two wooden spatulas used as paddles, until the fondant was cool enough to handle comfortably. Once I got in the swing of it I found it worked really well and the fondant was quite smooth by that time, and didn't really need a lot more handling.

The fondant placed a week ago is still there - almost untouched - I take it they are not hungry

Latest posts

Back