What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couple of mine were light (these two have been busy flying for no purpose the past weeks while the other, heaver, has checked its calendar and largely stayed indoors). Fondant added to the two

No bees actually flying today - first day in a long time without them...put fondant on each just to be certain. If they don't want it they won't eat it.

Plagued by foxes.

Neighbour trapped and shot one.. A few more to go.

Some bees coming out, flying around then back in again so, either pooh flights or orientation flights. No necter gathering. Maybe things are slowing down now.

went to show a prospective beekeeper my apiary and the fence had fallen down how embarrassing!!! on the plus side few bee's flying and little pollen spotted as well. :seeya:

Had a quick look at the hives I moved down from Cheltenham last week, all ok and a few bees flying with the nice sunny day down here..:)

still flying...

another warm sunny day after a couple of crap days, so again big activity with lots of pollen coming in - probably heather as we have a large heather bed plastered in flowers and bees
worryingly have flowering snowdrops out as well today and even the strawberries are still producing fruit on our patio -admittedly green but a few managed to ripen as late as 2 weeks ago.
Now a bit concerned as this activity cannot carry on without bees eating a significant amount of their winter stores

One heck of a storm overnight.
Grandchildren staying,woken by the howling wind,ended up in bed with us at 3am. The cockerel started at 3.15:rolleyes:
I checked the hives with a torch from the house ( can see them up the field)
Wind's dropped, it's 10˚ and a few bees are venturing from the poly 14 x12, the other two are a no show.

Mine have finally decided they don't want any more syrup. Have taken off the feeder, covered the crownboard holes & put the insulation in place.
Leaving them alone now, apart from the occasional heft as I'm passing, until Christmas.

Last edited:
The weather cleared during the morning. Thin sun, 14C, light breeze.

Bees on a mission (lots of pollen coming in, orange and off-white), and a few orienting.
Some still playing in and out through the mouseguard. Most zap through it as though it had always been part of the furniture. Others stop to explore it.

Activity and conditions were all the excuse I needed to fit the new polycarb crownboard. And, lid being off, another sugar dusting. May not be doing much good, but it shouldn't be any harm, and its avoiding the feeling of 'doing nothing' about the ruddy mites. At least another month before I can do something serious about them.

Blowing a hooligan here , bright sunshine !! I've put the floor inserts in as the wind is bitterly cold and penetrating, brrh!.
Not a bee showing it's face even though I was fiddling about :)
VM

went to the farm to check my over winter set of bees to find that, one, the frendly farm died last week and two me and my bees are to be evicted post haste. as i always said the son did not like bee keepers i have also to my cost found when shifting all my hive three cans of fly spray with there lids taped open near one of the dead hives, to which no one knew any thing about it. so from six hives two weeks ago I am now only having to move 4 alive and two dead ones and will be looking for a new out apiary over the winter as well

Weighed some hives. Compared to one month ago, all either the same or heavier by 1 kg.

went to the farm to check my over winter set of bees to find that, one, the frendly farm died last week and two me and my bees are to be evicted post haste. as i always said the son did not like bee keepers i have also to my cost found when shifting all my hive three cans of fly spray with there lids taped open near one of the dead hives, to which no one knew any thing about it. so from six hives two weeks ago I am now only having to move 4 alive and two dead ones and will be looking for a new out apiary over the winter as well

looks like you're well out of there - the little sh*t

checked fondant on all three hives (one taken nothing down and the other two taking it slowly with plenty left) and strapped them down - going back to work tomorrow so they'll have to fend for themselves for a fortnight - bright and sunny with us but not many bees venturing out.

What are they doing to you?

Trying to eat my quails, eating pears, breaking pear tree, digging holes in lawns, killing the pheasants..crapping everywhere..

Latest posts

Back