What could have caused this?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps encourage him to join this site?
He sounds very keen but ignorant, I'm sure he would learn lots here. :D
Then everyone is happy?

Lol, the site is on the allotments adjacent to the school. He has an allotment so therefore has a key, and he has a kid in the school, in my middle sons class. Hence the sticky situation I am in.

Beck I have already suggested to everyone to join this forum, but no notice has been taken.

I suppose I am being unfair a little. If I hadn't been on here and learnt so much, and if I didn't have the fear, then I would probably be just as curious as he is. I'm sure that if he really knew the damage he could be doing then he wouldn't do it as he's a green type of guy. He has a friend at work who keeps bees, who in my opinion gives some proper suspect advice. He probably doesn't know which way to turn, really wants the bee experience, and as I am just as much of a beginner, he may be more tempted to go with the " more experienced " advice from work. I think we'll just have to gently sort this out ( Karen takes off her steel toe capped boots lol ) and I'll keep on impressing the importance of leaving them to the mentor ( for now )

Set up a camera with a motion sensor...

at least then you would know if he was or not..

I think I'm going to go with the lock set up. I look after all equipment ( except the one bee suit he snuffled off last inspection ) going to get that back, on the pretense that all equipment need to be together, and available for large groups who want to observe, then bang a lock on it, I'll be key holder of course :) as I am available at the drop of a hat and attend all inspections.

Kaz
I would really have liked to have seen your stern warning ie Email to bugger lugs lol

I used lots of big words, and bee keeping terms lol......I hate this type of thing though, why can't people just do as advised. :(

Think the lock and chain is probably the best way to go.

If he asks why there is a lock on it, you will then know that he has been looking,

and the lock is there as a safety precaution beause you have been advised that because of thefts from allotments there is a risk that a thief might find it amusing to kick the hive over, and what with being near a school....

you dont need to say who advised you.....

or if he asks say it was "An Admin"

I used lots of big words, and bee keeping terms lol......I hate this type of thing though, why can't people just do as advised. :(

Known as a "Jolly good telling off"

Think the lock and chain is probably the best way to go.

If he asks why there is a lock on it, you will then know that he has been looking,

and the lock is there as a safety precaution beause you have been advised that because of thefts from allotments there is a risk that a thief might find it amusing to kick the hive over, and what with being near a school....

you dont need to say who advised you.....

or if he asks say it was "An Admin"

That is a good idea. This project was done by me and two other women. I was approached by one of them as I run the Gardening Club, and she had the idea to bring bees to the school. She couldn't apply for the funding, which was where I came in, but she did a lot of the leg work, meeting various departments and pulling it all together. I have asked her to ring me, and I think we might go down the " it's a health and safety thing " idea, like you say, it's near a school and there are a lot of children who have a run of the allotments when their parents tend their plots. Good thinking. I am feeling better about this whole thing now. I didn't want any bad feeling, I'm not good with that type of thing lol.

"The bees can only stay here on condition that......."

I just hope that the last week or two hasn't damaged their progress in any way. She hasn't laid very many eggs, but we do have a lot of brood and some nice grubs. Going to be a lot of bees in the next couple of weeks. God only knows how many times they have been disturbed in the last two weeks. By my count, he's done one alone ( damage in the super ) we've done one ( official one with mentor and all ) then he's planning another ( the one he asked me to come with him on. That will be at least 3 times, in 1 1/2 - 2 weeks, in this weather, with a newly set up colony.

Not sure how others feel but by August I reduce my inspections from once every 7-8 days to 2-3 a month. Don't be concerned that your queen isn't laying as many eggs now, this is perfectly normal for most queens at this time of year.

Poor girl needs a break

Not sure how others feel but by August I reduce my inspections from once every 7-8 days to 2-3 a month. Don't be concerned that your queen isn't laying as many eggs now, this is perfectly normal for most queens at this time of year.

Poor girl needs a break

Thanks Mike, it's just with everyone stating that winter is still a very long way away, I just assumed the queen would still be laying at a rate of knots. Is it that winter is far away in terms of honey production? But Queenie starts to slow down? We have a lot of brood, they will explode in a week or so, some nice, c shaped grubs, clean, but not many eggs

Latest posts

Back