Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

robinharman 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I have hives on a couple of industrial sites where high vis is a requirement. Therefore my bright orange Sherriff suits are prefect.

The Poot 

Field Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Another sage green here, plus a white one two sizes too big as a back up.
(If I encounter really nasty bees I could wear them both).

beeno 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
One daffodil. No I am not trying to court favour I blame my daughter for that. The other one is white. Just mended them, but they are getting a bit thin - all the washing!

Newbeeneil 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
40 plus 19 that I maintain for clients.
One sage and 2 white

madasafish 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
8x Langstroth, a few Lang nucs,1x TBH, and about 17 mating mini nucs

Honey Junction Ltd 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
173 national & 100 commercial
We have a real kaleidoscope of colours.
For the kids, three white, one yellow, two sage.
Two lilac female Sentinel for swmbo and one sage BB, two grey Sentinel and four sage BB for myself, we have also picked up two breeze suits today for a trial.

ChrisS 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
Our association had a zoom talk last night about bee vision. Latest research says bees see mostly in the blue and UV spectrum, and they use their green receptors just to detect edges. They can't see yellow or red at all, these appear dark. So wear whatever colour you like!

But laundry detergents include brighteners which absorb UV and re-emit as visible light. So who knows how the bees might react to a well-washed beesuit??

enrico 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
This made me laugh. I have changed my bee suit twice since this thread started. My original post said I wouldn't change it for the world! Well bees getting in made me change my mind!:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Little_bees 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
I have the BB wear sage ones. Nice neutral colour but I think the type of fabric also helps. Some cheaper suits have a rougher finish which I think encourages bees to stay on. (Yes, I know bees can walk easily up glass windows but I've noticed that they move off smoother fabric suits more quickly.)

Someone at our BKA had a dark green, almost black, suit and he always seemed to get covered with bees. He wondered if it was the colour so he lent it to another beek one time. That guy was the one covered in bees that meeting so presumably it was the suit which was attractive (or annoying?) not the wearer?!

jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
Someone at our BKA had a dark green, almost black, suit and he always seemed to get covered with bees. He wondered if it was the colour
White seems to attract them as well. remember some time ago, working on ChrisB's bee farm, there ws five of us out one day, four in Olive suits and Brian in a white one, we had to spend five minutes at each site before getting back into the landrover just brushing bees off Brian's suit, the rest of us were virtually bee free.

Latest posts