What colour is your bee suit?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With an out apiary in prospect, I'm thinking the time for a BB has come. But the big choice is whether to join the Sage army (yes it makes most sense, but its exactly like everyone else's) or to strike out alone in 'Biscuit' ...

Try nasturtium, it's bright and girly.
Cazza

White with lots of yellow bee poo, brown propolis staines, muddy knees, a few black marks from where I left it in a damp shed 8 years ago and it got a bit mouldy, but I wouldn't change it for the world, to be fair it is due it's annual wash!

Started off with a camo one.....didn't want the neighbours thinking I was running a nuclear power station. All was well until one day arrived back in the kitchen with some followers.....interesting to see SWMBO in panic mode with arms flailing like a dervish and ejecting me sharpish! Now have nuclear suit in brilliant white! Spare for winter peeks is half suit in camo.

my suit is white although it dosn't stay that colour for log with bee poo propolis charde wood wax
but as with the colour white should reflect the sun (what ever that is)
so in theory keep you cooler lol
defo white plus anyone who has a yellow one would confuse the bees
i have to where a floresant coat in work and the amount of times bees have mistaken me of a giant sunflower good thing i keep them how many must died due to people swating them poor things :nono::icon_204-2::offtopic:

Lime green - because I got a great discount on it at the Convention last year as it was a slight second.

Apart from what the bees may like/dislike an important consideration is whether you want to avoid drawing attention to yourself when working in view of a public road. The khaki one may be a good choice then.

Ray

My main one is, of course, white with bee accessories.

My second is mint green, which I really like.
Allowing my feminine side to flourish.

Mind you, I reckon I need a whole range of coloured suits for the Cathedral hives:

White for Easter, green for Trinity, red for saints days......

Dusty

Just dyed mine from white to pale olive green -- mostly to be less conspicuous in the field rather than to adopt stealth mode with bees. Too early in season to see if it's less provocative than the white but I'm sure I'll find out soon! :)

I have a white suit, but mainly use an olive green 'observer smock' - thin but zero fuss for a quick trip up the garden to the hives.

With an out apiary in prospect, I'm thinking the time for a BB has come. But the big choice is whether to join the Sage army (yes it makes most sense, but its exactly like everyone else's) or to strike out alone in 'Biscuit' ...

You could always go for daffodil...

You could always go for daffodil...

See I was already beaten to it, damn iPad app never updates!

I have a white one with a sage on order! When the new one comes I plan to cut the white one and make it into a smock!

If you ever find yourself buying bee suits in bulk for an association apiary, may I suggest you buy colour coded suits for small, medium, large and extra large. It makes sorting them out much easier than all-white suits.

Mine is mostly white, but large patches of it are brown, black, yellow, orange and green...

Last edited:
Just dyed my full bee suit green. Used a cold dye in a bucket and it hasn’t worked very well but it is greenish.

It hasn’t covered the mould marks but is does still keep the bees out.

Think I will re try this time with a dye which goes in the washing machine.

mine is lilac - I spend most of my time at the association apiary saying it is NOT pink.

I love my pale green ones, never had different.. but cannot find anyone who sells now except S**** the Beek and they seem too cheap to be good quality.- £25 ( I expect to pay about £90). also they are made in Pakistan so I worry about the conditions and wages of those people. But getting desperate as zips replaced once, holes appearing. a bit past repairable!!

Talking to a woman who has had 'her colours' done .(ladies will understand) :icon_204-2:.. I shouldn't wear black (not that I would with bees ,, would die a thousand deaths!!!) , white, grey, red.. so am looking for the light green...but no, just white, brown or army green stuff.. :banghead:
Obviously this lock down is having an effect finally!!

I love my pale green ones, never had different.. but cannot find anyone who sells now except S**** the Beek and they seem too cheap to be good quality.- £25 ( I expect to pay about £90). also they are made in Pakistan so I worry about the conditions and wages of those people. But getting desperate as zips replaced once, holes appearing. a bit past repairable!!
BB Wear still do a sage one

Latest posts

Back