What colour is your bee suit?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrPea

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Still trying to pick a new bee suit...now it's come down to colour. My old one was white, but now there seem to be a whole variety of colours available. Is there a *better* colour? What colour do you have? Do the bees even care?

(They LOATHED my black camera, but not my white one, so I'd assume they must care a little bit)

Mine is a sort of beige, not quite the khaki it was described as.

I don't think too dark a colour is a good idea, because you can't easily see passengers.

One in lilac and one in pink with purple and pink wellies to match! My friend got a blue one. Bees are not supposed to like blue but this is a pale colour and they don't mind. Some suppliers sell camaflage ones which are not supposed to attract attention while you are working on hives you want to conceal.

Camo.

I am overlooked and don't want people to think I am running a nuclear reactor in the back garden.

My bees tend to ignore everything when flying. But one hive is very defensive when opened in any weather.

Camo.

I am overlooked and don't want people to think I am running a nuclear reactor in the back garden.

My bees tend to ignore everything when flying. But one hive is very defensive when opened in any weather.

Now they think you are a mercenary instead!

Just dyed my white suit, leaf green, very nice too.

Plain white, very esay to see any bees sitting on your back, or your bum, before you drive off. I have a van with tinted windows in the back and they make great "bee mirrors" sitting on a lost bee is not a great experience when driving.

Ross

Pale blue, and a spare white one.
The bees in Hive 2 don't care what colour it is, they'll sting me anyway :(

Olive green or White, no difference to bees, just dont ever wear black gloves or wrist bands.

I've got white too.

Heard lighter is better, and that bees (like tsetse flies) are particularly attracted to dark blue. Personally I'm not convinced, as wearing darkish blue jeans below a jacket/veil hasn't been a problem for me so far...

Whatever you wear, try to avoid looking too much like a bear.

I've got white too.

Heard lighter is better, and that bees (like tsetse flies) are particularly attracted to dark blue. Personally I'm not convinced, as wearing darkish blue jeans below a jacket/veil hasn't been a problem for me so far...

Whatever you wear, try to avoid looking too much like a bear.

Now there's a thought....a bee suit designed as Winnie the Pooh!

Should I patent that?

Sage - and my spare one's white.

Last year whilst working witrh ChrisB all of us bar Bee Key Purr had sage (Brian had white) he always ended up plastered in bees whilst we had very few resting on us - not the first time I've noticed this phenomenon either: just a thought that's all

Mines white, never gave it a thought to get a different colour.

full suit is white [main one]

camo for a half suit. that the top half, the bit that matters :icon_204-2:

I have a white suit, but mainly use an olive green 'observer smock' - thin but zero fuss for a quick trip up the garden to the hives.

With an out apiary in prospect, I'm thinking the time for a BB has come. But the big choice is whether to join the Sage army (yes it makes most sense, but its exactly like everyone else's) or to strike out alone in 'Biscuit' ...

Personally I'm not convinced, as wearing darkish blue jeans below a jacket/veil hasn't been a problem for me so far...
QUOTE]

Just wait until you meet the hive from hell, then you will change your mind. jeans are not the best PPE in my experience.

I have a "nasturtium" coloured main and a white spare. I also have a square veil for winter and quick jobs.

Cazza

Latest posts

Back