what can i use instead of fondant?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dookie

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My bees are running low and i want to give them some fondant but all the delivery dates are for late next week and I'm nervous that it might be to late then. Is there something i can use in the mean time?

Thanks

If you think it's that bad, then a bag of sugar with a slit in it will do.
I use candy, which I make myself, also from a bag of sugar boiled in a little water (1kg to 200ml water).
Keep stirring 'til all the sugar dissolves and then boil for 3-5mins, cool the pan quickly by sitting in a sink of cold water stirring all the time. Then as it starts to go opaque, keep stirring and pour into a tray to harden.
It ends up like Kendal Mint Cake.
The bees like it and if you haven't many hives, it's easy to make. :)

I thought the time was up for fondant?

I just removed my fondant and replaced with a pollen patty.

If you think it's that bad, then a bag of sugar with a slit in it will do.
I use candy, which I make myself, also from a bag of sugar boiled in a little water (1kg to 200ml water).
Keep stirring 'til all the sugar dissolves and then boil for 3-5mins, cool the pan quickly by sitting in a sink of cold water stirring all the time. Then as it starts to go opaque, keep stirring and pour into a tray to harden.
It ends up like Kendal Mint Cake.
The bees like it and if you haven't many hives, it's easy to make. :)

That's exactly how I make mine and give them the choice between that and commercial fondant and they go for the homemade stuff every time. I had one very late nuc that went into the winter with hardly any bees and they've done really well on it.

......or a list of this that or the other, but I was answering the specific quote about fondant.

I don't think it was a dig at you Hivemaker, he's only adding to the discussion as per the thread title,
"what can I use instead of fondant?"

No diggity Mr H .. I was just adding to the ops question .
I think fondant is very messy but candy is less so it doesn't get every where like fondant.
Ive also noticed bee's stuck to fondant dead ..
Reading on here its happened to other Berks to.

Latest posts

Back