What are hormones and what are pheromones?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finman

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Hormones move messages via blood circulations and pheromones move messages via air.

But one thing more: what are names to the things which move from mouth to mouth in the beehive. Not via air and not via blood?

Hormones move messages via blood circulations and pheromones move messages via air.

But one thing more: what are names to the things which move from mouth to mouth in the beehive. Not via air and not via blood?

Bypassing those replies which seem to have veered this thread off into a weird analysis of some antique and ribald "humour", has anyone actally answered @Finman, who uncharacteristically appears to be pondering something about bees which works OK regardless of whether we humans understand it or not. ;)

What sorts of chemical compounds other than sugars are being used by bees when they communicate by mouth? What class of chemical would they be? Are these compounds hormones or is it something even more subtle than that?

Last edited:
Don't worry Finny, if you like I can chat to you in my first language and you can 'not understand' Welsh for a change 😁

My son is studying in South Wales so I'm making more trips there than I ever expected to, not just because of C19 but due to being flooded out of his accommodation last February. Anyway, on one of these trips, I learned my very first Welsh word; "cwtsh". What is wrong with you people? Is there a shortage of vowels or something? ;)

My son is studying in South Wales so I'm making more trips there than I ever expected to, not just because of C19 but due to being flooded out of his accommodation last February. Anyway, on one of these trips, I learned my very first Welsh word; "cwtsh". What is wrong with you people? Is there a shortage of vowels or something? ;)
W is strictly speaking a vowel. Double U

W is strictly speaking a vowel. Double U
And Ll is actually a single letter. as is Ch, Dd, Ff, Ng, Ph, Rh, and Th but we don't have an X or a Y and Sh doesn't exist in any form but instead is written Si as in siop, or siarad

Latest posts

Back