What are hormones and what are pheromones?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was first introduced to the vagaries of the Welsh language when I acquired a Welsh brother in law. Apparently I'd been wrong to have been stroking my dogs all these years and should have been 'smoothing' them!😂

And Ll is actually a single letter. as is Ch, Dd, Ff, Ng, Ph, Rh, and Th but we don't have an X or a Y and Sh doesn't exist in any form but instead is written Si as in siop, or siarad
I came across that one. There's a little place called "Llantrisant" near the uni where you come off the A470

I was first introduced to the vagaries of the Welsh language when I acquired a Welsh brother in law. Apparently I'd been wrong to have been stroking my dogs all these years and should have been 'smoothing' them!😂
From the valleys is he? or a Gog? both struggle with Welsh as well as English 🤣 I've seen smoothing used a few times although around here it's a term used for ironing clothes, which in some areas is called 'steeling' of course the usual term for stroking a dog is 'canmol' which translated can mean praising!

There's a little place called "Llantrisant" near the uni where you come off the A470
The hole with the mint in?

Llan - can mean church, Parish or community
tri - three
sant - saint
so the church of the three saints (Illtud, Gwynno and dyfodwg)
as opposed to Llandeusant (church of the two saints) just over the mountain from me.

From the valleys is he?
That's right. I didn't realise they couldn't speak 'proper' Welsh!
Although he came over to London for uni and never moved back, he still always carried on using random Welsh words for stuff.
My kids learnt what daps were when he told them to put them on but their friends were often a bit confused. I think the kids quite enjoyed learning the words and used them a bit like a secret code!

Still, it prepared us for Gavin and Stacey when that came along later!😂

Minä osaan myös puhua sinulle minun ensimmäistä kieltä, mutta mikä idea siinä olisi? Vaihteeksi vaan.
Rhechodd Rachael rhech rhyfedda rhwng rhych rwdins Rachel Roberts

It will also cause a google translate meltdown 😁

Last edited:
Well I thought rutabaga were an American version of a vegetable. But I guess they're part of Rachel's anatomy?!😳
you were correct the first time
Rachael let rip a wondrous fahrt between Rachel Roberts' Rutabaga rows

To try to wrench this thread back on topic and answer the original question...

A hormone is a substance produced by an animal (including humans and bees) to regulate activity of cells or organs within its own body.

A pheromone is a substance produced by an animal to affect the behaviour of another individual or individuals. It doesn't have to be airborne, and can include substances passed from one bee to another by mouth.

Welsh doesn't use the letter K either but there is a Y and for some strange reason it's pronounced differently in certain words, sometimes in the same word.
Tonypandy .... Ton-uh-pand-ee.

To try to wrench this thread back on topic and answer the original question...
Welsh doesn't use the letter K either but there is a Y and for some strange reason it's pronounced differently in certain words, sometimes in the same word.
Determined to keep the thread on its new trajectory! 😂

there is a Y and for some strange reason it's pronounced differently in certain words, sometimes in the same word.
That's because nowadays people frequently omit the accent on the second y especially in a word like pandy (fulling house) the second part of the word - tŷ (house) should have a circumflex to make the y an ee, of course in this case the t has also been mutated to d

Pot. ;)

What sorts of chemical compounds other than sugars are being used by bees when they communicate by mouth? What class of chemical would they be? Are these compounds hormones or is it something even more subtle than that?

When workers lick the queens abdomen, do you think that they lick sugar from it.

When workers lick the queens abdomen, do you think that they lick sugar from it.

No. You were asking:
......... what are names to the things which move from mouth to mouth in the beehive.
So I'm asking the same thing as you;
What sorts of chemical compounds other than sugars are being used by bees when they communicate by mouth?
Sugary compounds are always going to be the main substance they transfer, but you're implying that there is something else, and I agree with you. :banghead: :banghead:

Latest posts

Back