Welsh Convention

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 & 6 Nucs
When I filled in my application for pre-register tickets for the Welsh Spring Convention in Buith Well for the 2nd April, i gave them my email address to confirm my application, as of today I have still not had an email! Has anyone here on the forum had an email yet?

Times?

Anybody know when lectures finish?
No indication in the programme unless I just can't see it
Thanks

A lovely day, the changes were a good idea, much more room. Wife bought a pretty little number in lavender a little more her size, so I can have my spare suit back.
The usual suspects were there and it was great to have a natter over a cuppa. Time flies so fast in good company and before we knew it, it was time to leave.
Ah well, the sun was out for a nice journey home.
All in all a very nice convention.

Nice to get together with everyone and see a few new faces, the 'new venue' was a great improvement - no milling jostling crowds even though I'd say there was a lot more people there this year - more traders and bigger stands from the usual suspects as well as a bigger lecture theatre.
Quote of the day from Clive de Bruyn:

"There's one book no beekeeper should be without - whether beginner or old hand - Ted Hooper's 'Guide to Bees and honey'"

Nice to catch up with good friends and meet a few new ones too, the new venue was a big improvement, spent a fortune on some much needed kit to replace some well worn bits and now a proud owner of some polystyrene.

Unable to make it this year due to carpal tunnel op

Quote of the day from Clive de Bruyn:

"There's one book no beekeeper should be without - whether beginner or old hand - Ted Hooper's 'Guide to Bees and honey'"

This should be the first bit of advice given to anyone asking simple questions on this forum - don't answer the question, but tell them to do some basic research then come back and ask if they don't understand something.

If you simply answer everything then you enable dependence and stifle self-reliance. You might think you are being helpful, but I think the opposite is true.

Unable to make it this year due to carpal tunnel op

Had both done quite a few years ago - the most demeaning thing in my opinion was having to wear them sweatpants bottoms usually sported by the lower echelons of society as I couldn't do my own flies up!! get well soon - and remember, keep twiddling those fingers. I also found that once everything healed up that carrying a squash ball around and constantly squeezing it helped regain strength in my fingers.

This should be the first bit of advice given to anyone asking simple questions on this forum - don't answer the question, but tell them to do some basic research then come back and ask if they don't understand something.

If you simply answer everything then you enable dependence and stifle self-reliance. You might think you are being helpful, but I think the opposite is true.

Good idea - we'll get Admin to shut down all the threads and post a new welcome notice:
"bugger off and go read a book!!"
:D

Last edited:
......now a proud owner of some polystyrene.

You won't regret it ... best thing that's happened to beekeeping and for bees since moveable frames were invented .. IMO (of course ... there is still a strong lobby for timber and matchsticks in some quarters !).

If they have those flimsy clear sheets as crown boards I would get rid and make some proper see through ones out of 6mm or so polycarbonate.

There's a lot of sense in that but those who respond in such manner invariably get accused of being unsympathetic or worse.

There's a lot of sense in that but those who respond in such manner invariably get accused of being unsympathetic or worse.

I think a lot of people have lost (or at least have reduced) ability to pick up information in large tranches from reading books ... a lot of this can be laid at the door of the internet and the way we are now educated. You only have to look at the popularity of the 'Dummies guide to ..' series to see that small chunks of information with step by step guides is what a lot of people crave - and the internet is full of 'How to' videos and pictorials (not always good quality I regret to say) which also feed this need.

It's one of the reasons why the likes of Ted Hooper to many new beekeepers is of limited value and why I always recommend the likes of Bees at the Bottom of the Garden and the Haynes Manual of Beekeeping as starter books as they provide a fairly limited and targetted amount of information in an easily digested form.

I think that new beekeepers should be encouraged to read around the subject before they get bees but very often a polite and comprehensive answer to their question is a lead in to 'and read a book or two'. I think we are pretty good on here .. most new beekeepers get enough of us answering their posts to give them some thought for how they can develop and it's nice to see some of our former new beekeepers (who a little time ago were asking the same questions) reiterating the advice they were given a year or two ago. I think, as well, that there are enough contributors on here to offer guidance and encouragement that as long as we all do it once in a while it's hardly a chore pointing people in the right direction when very basic or broad questions are asked.

I dislike the sort of forum where people just link to a previous thread or suggest a book or manual to read ... people often come to forums for more than just advice ... confirmation, encouragement, sympathy, support, desperation are all part of the mix that are behind posts. I agree entirely that sometimes you feel like saying 'for goodness sake read a book !' ... but I'm afraid that an answer like that, in many, if not most, cases would probably result in one less new beekeeper or a discouraged one that may then head towards some of the less desirable youtube videos !

I'd like to think that we can continue to answer the basic questions in the way we seem to have always done .. like they have never been asked before.

Last edited:
I think a lot of people have lost (or at least have reduced) ability to pick up information in large tranches from reading books ... a lot of this can be laid at the door of the internet and the way we are now educated. [QUOTE ]

It's a worrying trend, alot of information these days is dispensed in bite sized chunks, my theory is that it's to accommodate a generation bought up on playing video games, moving up levels and saving progress in five or ten minute spells.

If they have those flimsy clear sheets as crown boards I would get rid and make some proper see through ones out of 6mm or so polycarbonate.

It be a Maisie's poly nuc - no crown board as just a few mm space above the top bars not that that feature makes any difference to how they operate if they do stick (which they haven't done with me yet) a gentle 'flex' gets them unstuck or, if you are really concerned a piece of terram weed membrane over the top bars will work a treat. I was speaking to Eric yesterday morning and they are still going like hotcakes - people pre-ordering them in their tens (bit daft as the convention day offer meant they were £26.00 each including the feeder) They sold two pallet fulls yesterday.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back