Welsh Convention

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't mind the flimsy "crown board" The roof is so shallow putting a 6mm sheet of polycarbonate exposes the join...so to speak.
There is no need to have a more robust crown to take the weight of a feeder since they added a top feeder to their repertoire.

Another thing I liked (pointed out to me by EricA) was the new plastic queen excluder with built in bee space - it's got a 6mm deep rim on it and the odd 'tile spacer' built in towards the middle to prevent sagging, not bad for a fiver - if you like that kind of thing :)
Me, I'm sat here stroking my birthday present to myself - a shiny new Dadant smoker - they've just come back in stock with big T's :D

Another thing I liked (pointed out to me by EricA) was the new plastic queen excluder with built in bee space - it's got a 6mm deep rim on it and the odd 'tile spacer' built in towards the middle to prevent sagging, not bad for a fiver - if you like that kind of thing :)
Me, I'm sat here stroking my birthday present to myself - a shiny new Dadant smoker - they've just come back in stock with big T's :D

Sorry.. who sells this new QE?

Another interesting fact from yesterday - after the post last month with warnings of a massive price hike in wax foundation - and confirmation from someone that everyone's prices were going to be increased in time for the conventions.
Maisie's had increased their prices for the convention (luckily I'd ordered early - and had a 25% discount) but noone else had - prices the same as before so CWJ were again the cheapest!!
Bet you there'll be a bit of shouting somewhere behind the scenes

There was quite a large container of traded-in wax outside. I had a little poke around in it :nono:but there were two chaps guarding it :icon_204-2:

one of the lads with me said about that on the way home, he said they were selling big slabs of wax but he is a newbee and didn't know why

I don't mind the flimsy "crown board" The roof is so shallow putting a 6mm sheet of polycarbonate exposes the join...so to speak.
There is no need to have a more robust crown to take the weight of a feeder since they added a top feeder to their repertoire.

I keep a super on top of the crown board and have 50mm of Kingspan permanently in it ... but I think everyone else is talking about poly nucs ... mind you ... I made a 6mm crownboard for my Paynes nuc as well..

I use the flimsy sheets when I'm storing supers as they are perfect for putting between the supers in the stack.

I made a 6mm crownboard for my Paynes nuc as well..
What we need now is a really deep lid. I made my own for the overwintering hives out of Recticel, deep enough to take 100mm of insulation surrounding a feeder(for fondant if needed in the Spring) and deep enough to cover the join between crown board and brood box.
Enough insulation to make Roger Patterson quake with laughter

Latest posts

Back