Weighing the hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone just heft hives with their hands anymore?

Since I foolishly have a variety of hive types... I keep an empty one ( with empty drawn frames) of each type, in every apiary.
Then simply hefting the empty one gives a good indication if the ones you are hefting are getting near to empty.
Of course before hefting each hive I give it a hefty kick to get the bees flying inside so they can be taken out of the calculation !

8 degrees of sunshine this afternoon and the Daphne was covered in bees....

Does anyone just heft hives with their hands anymore?

I do, I think they call it the KISS approach

I do as well.

It sounds like either there is too much time on their hands or they do not have enough hives....;)

Hefting with hands is quick and easy and they're on the end of my arms. :cool:

This is what you need, the whole acts as a hive stand during summer it tells you how much has come in and in winter how much has gone out, very accurate. What do you think Amari ring any bells?

This is what you need, the whole acts as a hive stand during summer it tells you how much has come in and in winter how much has gone out, very accurate. What do you think Amari ring any bells?

Well, if You need daily in flow or minus per day, this seems as no solution?

Main thing weight is important for me during active season to know how to act. If the daily in flow is over 13kg, and you have no slightest idea, soon the honey can end at tree ( as swarm).:)

Sorry, now I understood that you mean as hive stand. But also with this other hive you are not narrowed to one hive, you can choose as many as you can manage while it doesn't take your time to do other jobs.

Also, when finish, you pack it in a car and some wise guys won't steal it.

All the best.

Last edited:
Wow!
Have you bought it on eBay? The similar-size scales I used to own had a horizontal bar along which you slid the appropriate-size weight until the bar was balanced. I believe my ex still has it. Maybe join me on a nocturnal cutting-out expedition to retrieve it?

I do as well.

It sounds like either there is too much time on their hands or they do not have enough hives....;)

Hefting with hands is quick and easy and they're on the end of my arms. :cool:

I heft about 3 times a year.

More is unnecessary and bad for my back

Latest posts

Back