Weekly check sheet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi Everyone

I'm in my first year and have been donated a hive with a colony already established.

I a little daunted but excited about what lies ahead ad wondered if anyone has a check sheet (ideally with pictures) I can use for the weekly check until I'm more confident.

I have done the course and have a mentor but they won't be with me all the time.

Thanks

Simon

Welcome to the craft Morriss! Weekly checks looking through the brood box are not needed or advised until mid-April - then needed to monitor possible swarm preparations. Have you got a bee book eg Haynes Manual and do you take Beecraft? BBKA News, Jan 2023, p18-19 has a Beekeeping Year Planner with a useful monthly planner

A really good starters book is 'bees at the bottom of the garden'. Easy read
Hopefully your mentor will help but the main points are
Why are you inspecting ?
When you find what you are inspecting for, do you have the kit to deal with it?
Write down what you have seen and what you need to do at the next inspection
Read your notes before you inspect the next time!!!!
If you see a problem you didn't expect then close the hive up and ask. Do not do something you might later regret.
We have all been there
Good luck

As soon as you begin any inspection, the little training or knowledge you have will kick in , like all of us learning mistakes will be made along the way.
Before one goes in to hive you need to know why you are doing so, early on it is generally looking for build up and ratio of brood, is the queen laying well , plenty of eggs to larvae and sealed brood initially (no need to spend time looking for the Q, just a good ratio and laying pattern of eggs is enough whether a small patch or a couple frames to determine she is about).
At least 2 frames of stores to see them through for the next week or two should the weather worsen and two or three empty frames if poss for her to expand laying in to.

A simple check list is needed for a hive record.
It need not be elaborate or too onorous a simple sheet with a few columes to write down your findings.
I keep it simple columns are date, Q , QC , Brood, Room, stores and then notes.
  • Q a simple tick , cross or NS for not seen suffices.
  • QC a simple NS suffices unless one sees different , if charged QC's are seen simply don't destroy them as a next plan will be needed depending on the cell stage.
  • Brood , keep to a simple acronym that covers all, simply write down how many frames with brood . Acronyms and numbers are used so BIAS = brood in all stages but I find this not a very good one. I use three initials E/U/S for eggs, unsealed and sealed then a number preceeding denoting how many frames total of brood. There will be times when you don't see eggs and only have unsealed and sealed in situ so BIAS becomes use less.
  • ( In my training days years ago Pam Hunter was a mentor to me at the apiary and this was her method and it stuck with me being so simple a use of three letters ).
  • Room or Space . Simply a tick or cross to whether there is room for her to lay in , one has to also make allowances that older sealed/ emerging brood that will provide laying space (this will come with experince quite soon).
  • Stores, simply do they have plenty ? I simply use a tick or cross, if it is definate . When low and down to one frame (both sides sealed) I will write 4.5lbs for my BS broods. It is one of those things that come naturally when checking the colony over. When low I will write in the notes colume needs stores asap if there is no flow on.
  • In the notes column I simply write anything down that may be needed next time or acted on asap, so that one doesn't forget. It may be feed needed, comb needs swapping , issues with bees such as varroa seen or viruses spotted that need acting on. Extra supers needed or laying space required so another BB. Also in the notes column I will write down any treatments given.

One could ask locally for a bee mentor to wathc over you for a couple of sessions but advice and practice can vary widely so becareful of who is chosen.

Hi Everyone

I'm in my first year and have been donated a hive with a colony already established.

I a little daunted but excited about what lies ahead ad wondered if anyone has a check sheet (ideally with pictures) I can use for the weekly check until I'm more confident.

I have done the course and have a mentor but they won't be with me all the time.

Thanks

Simon
Perhaps worth reminding that it's important to resist (or fight) the urge to fiddle about unecessarily with the colony, especially when they are recovering from winter?

Back