weather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeboybee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
6 >12 - 14x12 + Nucs
weather productions. can anyone recommend some good sites for the long range weather forecast....... are we done with the cold, and just expecting wet weather now?

They cant get the 5 day forecast right so just look out side if its wet its raining if its not well you get the idea lol

In 2009 every long range forecast told us that we would have a scorching June July and August we got one week here if you look at the map on telly text the five day changes all the time Regards Andrew

images

possibly a little helpful ;-)

Last edited:
I use metcheck- it is pretty accurate and gets updated daily. Just needs your postcode

As someone who loves surfing but has not been for ages I used this link. But you need to know how to read it properly.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/europe/surface_pressure.html

Its easy once you know how. I learnt at school when geography was geography and not urban pressure of housing. But seriously it is easy to read.

Basically:

The closer the lines the windier it will be.
Blue triangles mean cold
Red semi circles mean a warm front.
Low means bad weather roughly
High means better weather

But a high in combination with compact lines can mean windy wet weather. If you press play on the video link it will show you the flow of the weather. And from that you can predict what's coming your way. The most common direction of wind is a south westerly. Wind is designated a direction by the direction it comes from. As a side note check out surfing websites in your areas. They always watch the weather religiously. And will in my experience be far more accurate than any weather site. O casionally you will see the blue triangles mixed with the red semi circles. This is called an occluded front and this is where the position and closeness of the lines will decide what the weather does.

Obviously this is a very very rough guide but it's fun to learn it. Hope that helps.

Temperature is hard to predict and in conrwall almost impossible. At Christmas it was burning hot at my parents. Literally half a mile down the road freezing and snowing hard. But cloud cover will keep heat or cold in. So if it's a low on the maps, and it's cold it will usually keep that cold in.

Forecasting hasn't advanced for three hundred years the only thing that has changed is the computer. In the 1700 their was a man who did all the calculations without computers and was as accurate as the met is today. They are capable of giving reasonable short term forecasts but lot long. Where I live has its own microclimate and the forecast never seems to be correct Regards Andrew

Forecasting hasn't advanced for three hundred years the only thing that has changed is the computer. In the 1700 their was a man who did all the calculations without computers and was as accurate as the met is today. They are capable of giving reasonable short term forecasts but lot long. Where I live has its own microclimate and the forecast never seems to be correct Regards Andrew

You belive what you want

This rain radar is very usefull. I may look from mobile when the rain is coming.
I have looked many times that is it good to go open hives. I will se that rain is coming durins 2 hours. It means too that bees will not like me then.

http://en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi/rain-and-cloudiness

Last edited:
evidence based prediction from sept 10:

"the pattern for the start of this winter will be a La Nina and a positive NAO.

These are characterised by cold spells early on then mild, wet winters"

First bit seems to have been correct - we'll see about the rest!!!!

Latest posts

Back