Weather - snow forecast for weekend

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've noticed that BBC Weather is great at supplying forecasts in lots of detail - only most of it turns out to be wrong ...
And their forecasts are forever changing - the only time you can reasonably rely on their forecasts is the day before - and my bunions and the seaweed can do better than that !

Ok - Weatherweb's latest snow forecast can be seen at:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uHxF93KmBo[/ame]

and the outlook looks grim for most of March - at least for the next 2 weeks. I'm going to whack on some more fondant tomorrow, sod the 1:1.

LJ

Hi LJ,
No worries post 8. Was just concerned about having set off an avalanche by using the wrong terminology in my case. Talking about the weather and pollen, my bees seem to live a hand to mouth existence - good at breeding but not housekeeping! They had collected quite a bit of pollen which were nowhere to be seen! One had brood and the other must have had brood? Yesterday, all hives out, all day collecting water in the rain. IMO they are diluting the fondant into 'nectar'. They have just woken up 7C, but it's going to be 9C, so I am hoping to see some pollen going in this afternoon before they get holed up for the next four days again.

I've just hung out the washing in the sunshine and the garden is buzzing with bees in the hellebores and snowdrops :)

RW yes...... and also dislike the BBC ineffectual policy of plaqying safe by giving a possible temp range e.g. next Thursday night is "-6 to +4c" which is of no use to man or libdem!

I think it is to be praised that they should indicate the 'error bars' in their forecasts.

With some settled weather systems, the weather can be predicted a week ahead with fairly tight confidence limits.
However, with the current ebb and flow in the clash between cold and mild air, they are telling you honestly that it could go either way - and the results would be very different. Those ranges will come down dramatically when the conditions are less 'chaotic'. Now, who is going to squash the butterfly before it flaps its wings? :)
I think that clearly flagging up the possible range between forcasts is much more useful than Mystic Meg quoting a temperature without any indication of error or confidence limits. She simply is convinced she is right - despite any evidence to the contrary.

The extraordinary accuracy of forecasts 48 hours ahead - even in highly changeable conditions - is a remarkable change in recent years.

Now, if our weather was as boringly predictable as the weather in Los Angeles, what would the British talk about?

The extraordinary accuracy of forecasts 48 hours ahead - even in highly changeable conditions - is a remarkable change in recent years.

It is a very rare occurrence for the forecasters to guess correctly what the weather is going to be like where i live.

It is a very rare occurrence for the forecasters to guess correctly what the weather is going to be like where i live.

Variations due to varied local topography are rarely included in broadcast forecasts. More likely due to broadcasting time constraints than anything else.
The forecasting of what is going to happen, as a pattern, is extraordinary. And the forecasting for time/location is pretty damn good.
I'm happy to recognise how tiny a deviation from forecast temperature can change precipitation from snow to rain (or vice versa), and still admire the precision of the forecast!

Variations due to varied local topography are rarely included in broadcast forecasts.

I know,complete rubbish, even with post code included, they forecast snow,we have had none, yet a couple of miles away it is several feet thick, they forecast rain,yet it stays dry and sunny,yet raining all day up over the hills, they forecast many frosty nights, only had seven all winter so far.

Not sure about this, I live in somerset and for the last 3 years we have had a substantial amout of snow. I'm 55 now and cant ever remember that much snow??????

Not sure about this, I live in somerset and for the last 3 years we have had a substantial amout of snow. I'm 55 now and cant ever remember that much snow??????

We had quite a bit here on Exmoor during winter 62/63, and again in the late 70's, and couple of bad winters with a lot of snow during the 80's.

Lovely day today 12 degrees bees very active taking lots of pollen in. shame it back to cold weather tomorrow for a week or so :hairpull:

BBC weather forecaster the other day " so some of the rain may fall as snow "

- glad I'm still not paying the Licence Fee in protest against the lefty 'Question Time' bias...

Hi all,
I wish they would stop showing wind chill temps causes no end of misunderstandings in our household!

cold weather forecast for the next five days is not as cold as first predicted, they first reported temps down to -3 but now +3 ? look out of the window is always the best way

Just started in Newcastle 1" already and snowing hard

The late Douglas Adams would have probably put this down to you being a little known god of weather.

Quite a nice day here, cold-ish wind but quite bright and NO rain and no snow,

Latest posts

Back