An 'interesting' weekend

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreeFall

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
6 plus a few nucs
Second year beek with just the one colony... I'd be interested in all comments, ideas and criticisms on the events below.

I finally got a weather window for a decent inspection on Friday and was confronted by lots of swarm cells, both open and sealed. I was cursing myself as the general consensus is that if there are sealed cells they have already gone but there were a LOT of bees. After taking some deep breaths and being methodical I did eventually find the queen, with most of her white dot rubbed off, so was very pleased she hadn't left yet.

So, as I have been researching AS techniques, helped in no small part by people on here, I had kit ready to go and a plan in my mind. I did the following:

- New BB on original site, into which I placed the frame with the queen on, a frame of drawn comb and filled the rest with foundation. Honey super with a frame or two of wet stores on top (this was on the bottom originally as I was feeding syrup the previous week because they had nothing).

- Original brood+half next to it, facing same way and about 4 feet away. I went through this and left two charged cells as I wasn't sure if one of them was actually uncapped or had been damaged when taking the frame out [pic 1] (stuck to frame underneath maybe). Broke down remaining cells except for two lovely looking ripe, sealed ones...[pic 2]

- Place these sealed cells into a nuc on the frame + bees + shook in another good frame of bees. I wanted to do this for insurance in case the other cells in main BB came to nothing. I dummied it down with a frame feeder either side, popped the nuc inside a WBC body and packed out with insulation to keep it nice and warm.

So, by Friday night I was feeling quite pleased with myself. I was well on the way to the increase that I wanted and I'd managed to get to them before they swarmed.

>===========================<

Saturday I spent most of the day around the hives, strimming and weeding the garden. There was a lot of activity but it seemed like foraging behaviour on a fine day, the warmest we've had since the March spell. There were a lot of orientation flights on both the parent and the AS and many bees flying - I assumed that at 20° the nearby OSR had finally come to fruition as many returning bees had a yellow spot on their head (sure I've read on here that is a sign). Nothing that I would have thought was a swarm, although I've never seen one first hand. So...

Early evening I was sat down with a cider, admiring my handiwork when I noticed some bees buzzing around a big old dog rose. Odd I thought as it hasn't flowered yet - so I made my way over and :eek: a cluster the size of a football hanging there! [pic 3]

I had a quick peek in the AS on the original site and there still seemed to be the same amount in there as when I checked late Friday evening, the parent and nuc still looked the same. I was however pretty sure they were mine so guessed they'd left the AS. After much fighting with the gnarly old dog rose and a blunt pair of secateurs I had enough room to bang them down into a box [pic 4]. I must have got over 3/4 of them but after leaving them for 10 minutes it was apparent they were re-joining the cluster. Plan B was to put the box upside-down over the top of them and smoke them up [pic 5] , this also failed miserably - eventually I laid an old brood frame over them [pic 6] and each time it filled up I shook it into an empty BB and closed it up - eventually they went in of their own accord so must have got the queen at some point. not worthy I waited until the sun was setting, picked them up and put them in the line with the other three hives, slipped a QE under the BB, reduced the entrance and left them to it.

So, another quick look on Sunday, late afternoon:

1. AS is still busy, orientation flights and pollen coming in - had a peek to see if I could see HM and instead saw a capped queen cell :mad: - it looks like an emergency cell though, drawn out of the worker cells, half way up and to one side of the frame, with a right-angle bend in it instead of being straight. No photo as yet but will try for one later.

2. Parent hive not so busy but still orientation and pollen, plenty of bees visible through glass quilt looking down on half-brood super. Not opened up.

3. Collected swarm are still there, I haven't open them up for fear of HM legging it. Will give another day and then feed 1:1 as they are on foundation and one drawn frame.

4. Nuc doesn't look happy - very few bees, only a couple of hundred at most, warming a small patch of sealed brood in the very top corner of the frame. Open brood looks to have been chilled and died. No interest by the bees in the two sealed queen cells. :( - I guess what happened here is that I populated it with flying bees and not nurse bees, which have now gone back to the AS, although I did block the entrance with grass for 24 hrs.

So now I need to make a plan. I'm presuming that the two sealed cells in the nuc have had it - so I should break them down, check for any more and then return that frame plus the few remaining bees to the parent colony, which will hopefully still be bringing on the open queen cells I left them.

I'd like to get a strong colony on double brood for the main flow this year (if we have one :rolleyes: ) so am wondering about breaking down the QC in the AS hive and reuniting the swarm with it, maybe after I've fed them for a while and they've drawn out the foundation.

Thanks if you've managed to read my ramblings this far - it's been useful to write it out. I know there will be many ideas on where I go from here and I want to hear them all and then make a decision myself.

I'm thick skinned, so no need to hold back... ;)

Nick

You could indeed say damaged...that's the royal jelly plug at the base of the cell:eek:. And you've learnt rule 1 of swarms: pick the prickliest nearby object and land in it...

Is it possible you missed the QC in original hive? If it was drawn from workers cell and not sealed on friday you may not have spotted as at that stage it may have looked more like a slightly oversized drone cell. This would explain why they them swarmed when it was later sealed over.

You seem to have managed really well and experienced many different scenarios all in one go - a very good learning experience if nothing else.

Hope you end up with some viable queens.

I'd be interested in all comments, ideas and criticisms on the events below.

OK, here we go.

The first bit I highlihgted and copied was this: "- Place these sealed cells into a nuc on the frame + bees + shook in another good frame of bees. I wanted to do this for insurance in case the other cells in main BB came to nothing. I dummied it down with a frame feeder either side, popped the nuc inside a WBC body and packed out with insulation to keep it nice and warm.

I was going to say.... But you have learned the hard way. It is a split not a nuc - a nuc is a small viable colony, and as you have found, your split was not.

Feed them. No need to make them use up all their supplies if they are your bees - only needed when you don't know their health at hiving.

two lovely looking ripe, sealed ones.

Can't tell if they are 'ripe' or not from the pic, but from your text they were only recently sealed - or was she being superceded until you intervened?

Q/E under and closed up? A bit OTT?

I'd like to get a strong colony on double brood for the main flow this year (if we have one ) so am wondering about breaking down the QC in the AS hive and reuniting the swarm with it, maybe after I've fed them for a while and they've drawn out the foundation.

Not sure when your main flow is or what it might be, but if you have a laying queen and plenty of bees, let her get on with it. The parent colony will hopefully raise their queen, she will get mated and then you will have two queens a laying. Unite or reinforce to get a really strong colony at the main flow, depending on what your plans are - increase, change of queen, or whatever. Keeping options open is a good idea, especially this year, I would suggest!

Regards, RAB

You could indeed say damaged...that's the royal jelly plug at the base of the cell:eek:. And you've learnt rule 1 of swarms: pick the prickliest nearby object and land in it...

There was lots of the royal jelly gunk but it did look dried out and not very viable - maybe it was damaged before or they were tearing it down for some reason. I've not much experience of healthy charged cells, which is why I left another one, which was much smaller but looked 'wet'. The only reason I wore gloves (leather gauntlets) was to protect me from the thorns!

Is it possible you missed the QC in original hive? If it was drawn from workers cell and not sealed on friday you may not have spotted as at that stage it may have looked more like a slightly oversized drone cell. This would explain why they them swarmed when it was later sealed over.

You seem to have managed really well and experienced many different scenarios all in one go - a very good learning experience if nothing else.

Hope you end up with some viable queens.

It is most likely that I missed a cell on Friday, I was so relieved to actually find the queen and hence realise that they hadn't already swarmed that I think I rushed it all a bit from that point on. I did realise that the frame should have no QCs on it and remember blowing on it to clear bees out of the way to check - I just missed it... I got a pic of it this evening, I'll post it up. It did all seem to descend upon me at once but I have read a fair bit and digested some of it - mostly on this forum.

I'd be interested in all comments, ideas and criticisms on the events below.

OK, here we go.

The first bit I highlihgted and copied was this: "- Place these sealed cells into a nuc on the frame + bees + shook in another good frame of bees. I wanted to do this for insurance in case the other cells in main BB came to nothing. I dummied it down with a frame feeder either side, popped the nuc inside a WBC body and packed out with insulation to keep it nice and warm.

I was going to say.... But you have learned the hard way. It is a split not a nuc - a nuc is a small viable colony, and as you have found, your split was not.

Feed them. No need to make them use up all their supplies if they are your bees - only needed when you don't know their health at hiving.

two lovely looking ripe, sealed ones.

Can't tell if they are 'ripe' or not from the pic, but from your text they were only recently sealed - or was she being superceded until you intervened?

Q/E under and closed up? A bit OTT?

I'd like to get a strong colony on double brood for the main flow this year (if we have one ) so am wondering about breaking down the QC in the AS hive and reuniting the swarm with it, maybe after I've fed them for a while and they've drawn out the foundation.

Not sure when your main flow is or what it might be, but if you have a laying queen and plenty of bees, let her get on with it. The parent colony will hopefully raise their queen, she will get mated and then you will have two queens a laying. Unite or reinforce to get a really strong colony at the main flow, depending on what your plans are - increase, change of queen, or whatever. Keeping options open is a good idea, especially this year, I would suggest!

Regards, RAB

Sure, I agree with the split vs. nuc point - in fact I said this to another newbee only recently on here in reply to a for sale topic.

I made up some 1:1 syrup this afternoon and will feed later this evening. I did have a look earlier and they have drawn a full frame of foundation already - I also saw my marked queen, so I know more about where I stand now. So the waiting 3 or 4 days before feeding them is just for unknown swarms then? So they use up anything they brought with them in case it is contaminated in some way?

I don't believe she was being superseded but have no proof of that. She's last year's queen and has been going great guns IMO. Again. my inexperience shines through as I've no experience of 'nice ripe ones' (when it pertains to QCs anyway) so they could well be empty...

The 'closed up' related to me putting them in the box from the 'bait comb' while trying to get the queen down. Once I knew I had her I put QE under (as an afterthought) and reduced the entrance.

I'm not sure when/what my main flow is either - as I only started with a nuc last June. My guess is it will be dog-rose soon (pollen only?) and then on to bramble - which should flower from late June right through to August, and there are plenty of hedgerows with it around here.

========

The dilemma I have now (forget about the nuc) is that I have the original Q- AS hive, on the original site with one QC (pictured below), plus the Q- parent hive next to it - hopefully also with a QC coming on - and then also the hive that I put the swarm in which is Q+. I think what I want to achieve is to have the parent hive raise a new Q and combine the Q+ swarm with the Q- AS (which I believe is what I would have had if I'd carried out the AS properly). In addition I'd like to take these two hives plus a 'proper' nuc into winter but I think I can set the nuc up later in the year, once this has all settled down.

Thanks to all so far!

Nick

sounds like a very interesting weekend, so thanks for taking and posting the great pics, as a very new beginner, this post and the pics help improve my education, cheers

You're welcome Jackbee, I've learnt a lot from this forum and enjoy giving something back.

So, I put 4 pints of 1:1 syrup on the swarm last night in a contact feeder.

Does anyone have any views on what I should do next with regards to the artificial swarm (with at least one QC) and the 'real' swarm with the old queen? As I say, I'd like to unite them using double brood boxes but am not sure if that would cause me any more issues - I guess one possibility would be that it may cause them to swarm again. Is there anything else I need to be aware of if I follow that plan?

Thanks,
Nick

Update.

Checked them all out today as the weather is not looking good in the near future, in fact it's pouring down at the moment.

Bearing in mind I started with one hive...

Hive 1. Original swarm half of AS that swarmed anyway. Lots of bees but no sign of a Q or laying. They are not unhappy and have been bringing in plenty of nectar but loads of empty space in BB and no polished cells. Put in a test frame with eggs from hive 4.

Hive 2. A/S parent colony. To be honest I thought these would turn out Q- after me damaging one of the chosen cells while looking for others. I'm glad I left two though because I saw a queen walking on the comb today. :cool: No sign of eggs but she looks pretty fat, so hopefully is mated and about to lay. Will leave them alone for a week.

Hive 3. This is a small swarm I pulled out of the hedge about 50 yds from my apiary - I figured it was a cast from Hive 1 at the time and have been leaving them alone to forage and draw foundation. When I looked today there eggs and larvea (on the one drawn comb I'd added) and they've drawn out most of the foundation. I only hived them on May 25th so HM must have been mated when she arrived. This leads me to wonder if they were not from my bees. On closer inspection they do seem a little darker and smaller than my carnies.

Hive 4. The prime swarm from hive 1. Marked queen is there with eggs - donated test frame to hive 1.

Sorry, no pics today - wanted to get it all done before the rain.

Nick

Update.

Checked them all out today as the weather is not looking good in the near future, in fact it's pouring down at the moment.

Bearing in mind I started with one hive...

Hive 1. Original swarm half of AS that swarmed anyway. Lots of bees but no sign of a Q or laying. They are not unhappy and have been bringing in plenty of nectar but loads of empty space in BB and no polished cells. Put in a test frame with eggs from hive 4.

Hive 2. A/S parent colony. To be honest I thought these would turn out Q- after me damaging one of the chosen cells while looking for others. I'm glad I left two though because I saw a queen walking on the comb today. :cool: No sign of eggs but she looks pretty fat, so hopefully is mated and about to lay. Will leave them alone for a week.

Hive 3. This is a small swarm I pulled out of the hedge about 50 yds from my apiary - I figured it was a cast from Hive 1 at the time and have been leaving them alone to forage and draw foundation. When I looked today there eggs and larvea (on the one drawn comb I'd added) and they've drawn out most of the foundation. I only hived them on May 25th so HM must have been mated when she arrived. This leads me to wonder if they were not from my bees. On closer inspection they do seem a little darker and smaller than my carnies.

Hive 4. The prime swarm from hive 1. Marked queen is there with eggs - donated test frame to hive 1.

Sorry, no pics today - wanted to get it all done before the rain.

Nick
happy days

:nature-smiley-011: just wanted to say thank you for some very interresting poasts and i love to see the pictures as an abasalute beginer thay make things alot easer to understand and follow, i look forward to finding out how you get on good luck, and please keep us informed :nature-smiley-016:

If you were not 'in at the deep end' before, you are now! Well done and good luck. You now have enough bees to collect a crop (from at least one hive) during thast main flow, whenever it arrives.

Those reading later will, no doubt, latch on to the amount of feeding for swarms (probably not understanding how 'rubbish' the weather had been, up until then).

At this stage, if the offspring from your original queen are good, I would be considering retiring her from a full colony and nurturing her as a breeding queen (keeping her 'ticking over' in a nuc sized colony).

RAB

I have a very similar situation to you, my 2nd year, did a split on single hive and a few days later ended up with 4 hives after a swarm and cast. You seem in better shape than me, as I have at least one hive that i think is queenless, with no brood less than a week old to transfer a frame across frokm anywhere. Can see myself buying a queen later this week, as i don't want to merge 2 into 1 in case they swarm again.
Been really good to hear the story so far though, makes me realise there's others going through the same learning, scary as that is at times.

I want to point out that this "consensus" over sealed cells = departed swarm is just wrong.

It is not always true by a long chalk.

PH

agree with PH, found 3 sealed cells in a colony last inspected 6 days previously, also found the (slimmed down) queen, who is now clipped, and performed an A/S

Those reading later will, no doubt, latch on to the amount of feeding for swarms (probably not understanding how 'rubbish' the weather had been, up until then).
RAB

The prime swarm from hive 1 was housed just prior to a week or so of bad weather and took 3 or 4 pints of 1:1 to draw 8 frames. The 'cast' (if it is one - I think the queen must have been mated when I hived them) took less than a week to do that in fine weather with no syrup at all. It was the first week that has been over 20° C here since the OSR started flowering and I think they managed to get the tail end of it.

Proof that you don't always need to feed a swarm :)

At this stage, if the offspring from your original queen are good, I would be considering retiring her from a full colony and nurturing her as a breeding queen (keeping her 'ticking over' in a nuc sized colony).

RAB

She certainly seems prolific and they are very gentle, rarely needing smoke for behavioural reasons. I've read about the fact you can get some nasty crosses with carnie + feral type and I'm still not sure what I have in hive 3. I did want to take a nuc into winter however, as insurance mainly so will definitely look into this - more reading required!

Had a quick peek at the test frame today and no signs of being interested in making queen cells. Maybe HM is taking her time or just didn't manage to get mated. I'm going to give it another week as the bees are very calm and are still bringing in plenty of nectar when the weather allows, also small amounts of pollen. They are storing some of it in an arch on the top of the brood frames and not yet where the queen would lay, so fingers crossed. If nothing is happening next week I'll make a more concerted effort to find her and think about uniting with one of the Q+ colonies. Other ideas and thoughts welcome.

I want to point out that this "consensus" over sealed cells = departed swarm is just wrong.

It is not always true by a long chalk.

PH

Checked a swarm i hived around 5 weeks ago only to find 4 capped q cells :eek:, last checked 7 days ago, queen still walking around laying so bunged her in a 5 frame nuc and broke the cells down to one.

queen still walking around laying

If only 4 cells, I would suggest that is supercedure? How many other queen cells? If none, then they are likely not swarm cells at all.

Latest posts

Back