Weather ahead

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's bound to get cold and frosty.
Stan has just pruned the figs, clutching a sheaf of printed instructions which clearly state " Do this after all danger of severe frost has passed but before Spring growth starts.

Just been looking at the forecast for the week ahead and beyond.. Fairly promising down here on the Costa del Fareham with temps in the middle teens and a potential high of 17 degrees next Wednesday ... Looks like the girls will still be flying for another week !

The longer term forecast for November is lots of snow and ice - I hope they have got that wrong.....

Where's Roola ? Usually on the money for a good forecast ...

This neck of the woods is giving a max temp of 8c next week

Great Roola - Your forecasts RULE !!!

Very foggy and only just above freezing here all day - seagulls walking on the ice on the park's ponds were entertaining to watch ..with water around the ice in the middle it looked like they had achieved holy status !

So ... cold weather is well on its way ... But the problem I have is that it's been so mild that all the stuff that needs pruning is in bud ... totally confused fruit bushes at the allotment.

Lol I could do better :
It'll be mostly like today but may be somewhat different with increasing chances of being slightly different over time. Unsettled weather will bring a chance of it being unsettled.

:icon_204-2: sounds like our local weatherman, he always covers all bases...

Today will be cloudy with a chance of Sun, mostly calm but some areas may see some wind developing, should be mostly dry but expect the odd shower with a possibility of some sleet or snow in colder areas!

Any I've actually heard people say his forcasts are good as he usually get it right? :smilielol5:

:icon_204-2: sounds like our local weatherman, he always covers all bases...

Today will be cloudy with a chance of Sun, mostly calm but some areas may see some wind developing, should be mostly dry but expect the odd shower with a possibility of some sleet or snow in colder areas!

Any I've actually heard people say his forcasts are good as he usually get it right? :smilielol5:

The problem is that even with all the supercomputers etc... the atmosphere is so complex that predicting the weather accurately more than a week ahead is very difficult, hence forecasts don't often go further than that... after that it is looking at trends in the major models as well as teleconnections, logic and gut instinct. Since I posted my weather update, things have changed again and although it will remain chillier, the lilihood of snow has lessened somewhat as it looks more likely we wil be more influenced by high pressure... so at least settled over the next week or so. We shall see.

Try the Norwegian weather forecast (YR), it is usually quite accurate, especially for coastal areas.

Out of the window , through the window . Its all the same . Get off your fat xmas pud and go outside . Its winter its cold . Make some frames if you are bored .

How nice, I try to give people a heads up in terms of how the weather is shaping over the coming weeks and I get these kind of responses. Won't bother any more.

Lol I could do better :
It'll be mostly like today but may be somewhat different with increasing chances of being slightly different over time. Unsettled weather will bring a chance of it being unsettled.

I've always loved the simplicity of "mainly dry"

Let's take it what it gives

We have not any snow on ground now in southern Finland. That will violate some plants. Like strawberry plantations suffered much last winter. We had a short of strawberries last summer.

All autumn rape fields died, but it was not a big problem. Farmers said that fields are easy to sow again.

We have had now 3 winters without snow in South. That is not normal, but I cannot help.
At least we have 2000 snow workers in the public works in Helsinki. Nothing to do. They will have a long winter....

Last edited:
How nice, I try to give people a heads up in terms of how the weather is shaping over the coming weeks and I get these kind of responses. Won't bother any more.

Oh Roola just ignore them. A lot of people look forward to your posts about the weather. Happy new year and keep them coming

Ignore the idiots Roola - most of us appreciate your weather forecasts - darn sight better than most of the official ones available - keep 'em coming.

Back