Wax moths and spiders.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve1958

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
At a beekeeper meeting I attended last night an experienced beekeeper suggested putting
a spider in my stored supers as this would help reduce wax moth damage.

Has anyone any experience of this?

We have very large spiders here in Tasmania called the Huntsman. They live in family groups. I had a frame leaning up against the house (having seen a wax moth larva in it) and came back in the early evening and noticed one such large spider on the frame with the larva between its fangs. I'll see if I can hunt down a photo of it and post it.

They have a penchant for the top of the sun visor in a car or the crevices car doors too.

- Terrible photo but you get the idea. Grub between the jaws. Should I send some over?

Attachments

• IMG_20190925_200311996.jpg
    IMG_20190925_200311996.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 87
No thanks! Your golden orbs were scary enough for me!
E

I've just cancelled my trip to Tasmania I booked with Thomas cook ... they never mentioned spiders the size of cats ... I'll be suiing them in due course...

We have very large spiders here in Tasmania called the Huntsman. They live in family groups. I had a frame leaning up against the house (having seen a wax moth larva in it) and came back in the early evening and noticed one such large spider on the frame with the larva between its fangs. I'll see if I can hunt down a photo of it and post it.

They have a penchant for the top of the sun visor in a car or the crevices car doors too.

https://youtu.be/wRQucp31n0c

Spiders in hive

Found a very large false widow spider under the lid a couple of months ago I must admit I despatched her as they can give a nasty bite seem to get loads of them here in South Devon.

Found a very large false widow spider under the lid a couple of months ago I must admit I despatched her as they can give a nasty bite seem to get loads of them here in South Devon.

Only if you try and stroke them.

Latest posts

Back