Wax Moth - help!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteL

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've just opened my spare, empty hive to find a severe infestation of wax moth that has consumed all the empty comb. It's far too late to think of rescuing anything so I'm into clean-up and damage limitation mode. Two questions:

1. What, if any, is the most effective way of cleaning the hive to allow re-use? A web search suggests the best way is freezing but I don't have a big enough freezer without turfing out all the food.

2. Is my neighbouring occupied hive at risk? If so, what should I look out for?

Thanks in advance.

Heat or Cold will nail any insects....

gas mk 5 for 15 mins on the centre shelf of the stove....:winner1st:

If don't need the boxes until, say next year, wrap them in plastic bags for now and then put them out in the frost when it arrives. Otherwise as above

I'm tempted to think that if you do nothing, and hope for an early hard frost or two, the larvae will eat into your boxes long before the weather turns cold enough to kill them and their successors.

You've already had some ideas, but another way of treating could be to use a sulphur candle from a garden centre.

You'll only need about a teaspoon or so, so there'll be plenty left in the tin for another time. Work out the volume of the hive and follow the directions for greenhouse fumigation - should be on the container. Put the right amount in a tea light container and burn as per product instructions. Leave the hive sealed for at least 12 hours, then ventilate well - or leave sealed until you need to use it.

I'm tempted to think that if you do nothing, and hope for an early hard frost or two, the larvae will eat into your boxes long before the weather turns cold enough to kill them and their successors.

You've already had some ideas, but another way of treating could be to use a sulphur candle from a garden centre.

Or thornes sell the sulphur strips.
"Stack supers 6 high (1 strip is enough for 3 supers). Repeat treatment every 4 weeks. Also prevents pollen going mouldy."

If the hive is wood, you can use a blow torch to scorch it.

The occupied hive should be fine because it has bees in it to deal with the moths.

Cazza

Frames/combs > plastic bags > freezer overnight.

Boxes - just keep bees in 'em - they'll sort the moths out.

LJ

It would probably work on boxes too, although I only spray it on the frames of comb. The larvae prefer brood comb to honey comb.

There is a lovely leaflet on both species of wax moth onthe fera website.

Into a plastic bag and into a chest freezer.

Freezing or fumigation will kill all stages of wax moth that are currently present. But gives no lasting protection - that is up to how well you seal them up (after you have 'aired' them after fumigation, while keeping moths away).

Certan will kill any new moths at the larva stage. For many months to come.

The two approaches are actually complimentary …

ive had this before when they took hold in a weak colony, I removed all the frames a brunt them ( the frames will have the tell tale marks on them) and I would blow touch the brood box to kill any lava or eggs hiding in the cracks

Both 80% acetic acid (available on line) or sulphur strips (T's) work well and I deploy either on stacks of empty supers prophylactically. The acid attacks metal (and skin) while the sulphur attacks your lungs - so take care.

Back