Warped foundation - is it useable?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I made up this brood trame including the foundation last year. As you can see the wax has warped. Is this useable or should I replace the foundation?

Thanks . . . . Ben

C5c_V6YWYAAndPG.jpg

I had the same problem last year with several new frames of foundation, i stuck them in the artificial swarm hive with no problems, the bees sharp sorted it out, mind you they chewed holes allover but still made a nice even brood comb in no time.

Thanks all. I'll hang onto the 6 frames like this.

(not sure how I've ended up with 6 when I have one hive, you buy frames in 10s and use them in 11s in a National but there you go)

. . . Ben

Thanks all. I'll hang onto the 6 frames like this.

(not sure how I've ended up with 6 when I have one hive, you buy frames in 10s and use them in 11s in a National but there you go)

. . . Ben

Selling them in tens is a stroke of genius. And how come you put eleven frames into a box big enough for twelve? This whole hobby is crazy.

To get the best comb from a frame like that I'd be tempted to trim 5mm of wax off all round (sides and bottom)on the foundation to give it a little expansion room once the girls start working it.

To get the best comb from a frame like that I'd be tempted to trim 5mm of wax off all round (sides and bottom)on the foundation to give it a little expansion room once the girls start working it.

I was wondering about just leaving a starter strip along the top rail and going foundationless. Bit of a waste of the wax.

. . . . Ben

How did they get like that ? did you pin the wedge the right side

The frames and foundation are all from Thorne's and I followed the make video on the website and put them together last May/June. They've been hanging in an unused brood box in an unheated (perhaps damp) room, not overheated so . . . ?
I remember having to trim the sides so that wax slid in easily on some of the frames I made up last year. Maybe the wax wasn't warm enough.

. . . Ben

The frames and foundation are all from Thorne's and I followed the make video on the website and put them together last May/June. They've been hanging in an unused brood box in an unheated (perhaps damp) room, not overheated so . . . ?
I remember having to trim the sides so that wax slid in easily on some of the frames I made up last year. Maybe the wax wasn't warm enough.

. . . Ben

For the record I've realised that these frames were left in a brood box in the sun for a week or so. This is probably when the wax 'relaxed'.

. . . Ben

I make up frames well in advance, but only put in one bottom bar. I only put the foundation in just before I anticipate using the frames. That way, provided it has been kept sealed in the bag, as supplied, it remains fresh. Stops this sort of thing happening, and the bees work it readily.

Latest posts

Back