Does foundation go off?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ust offering help and ideas
yes but an un needed manipulation
Another one out of the BBKA book of myth and magic
basically foundation doesn't 'go off' thus it doesn't need 'rejuvenating' by playing a hairdryer over it

yes but an un needed manipulation
Another one out of the BBKA book of myth and magic
basically foundation doesn't 'go off' thus it doesn't need 'rejuvenating' by playing a hairdryer over it
I wasn't suggesting that it does go off. I was saying that if it is cold and brittle, and I make frames up in those conditions in winter, and it has a tendancy to snap when making frames up, then warming it slightly makes it pliable again! In those conditions I consider it a useful manipulation rather than a needed one. I have never agreed that it goes off, just that it is more difficult to use when cold!

Sounds like a @Black Mountain Honey experiment video in the making… premium foundation, old brittle foundation and hairdryered foundation and see if there’s any difference/preference by the bees.

Hell, could even spray one with sugar syrup to see if it makes them move up faster 😂😉

I bought some foundation earlier this year that was produced in 1998 and sealed in the box.

Absolutely bone dry and brittle. Very pale.

Got them into colonies and they turned it into beautiful golden wax in 48 hrs.

Hairdryer does work to revitalise but its not necessary for the bees. They work it regardless and it never goes off.

It does help the beekeeper though as this stuff was SO brittle it was constantly cracking and breaking.

Did I hair dryer 2000 sheets? er... NO.

Back