varroa treatments

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that super full of honey? If so remove it and spin it for yourself. Put the eke directly on the brood box and do your apiguard treatment. Then add a feeder and feed them to required weight.

I am tempted to do that, but thought it was better for the bees to have their own honey than sugar syrup? I've looked online, and opinion seems divided

I am tempted to do that, but thought it was better for the bees to have their own honey than sugar syrup? I've looked online, and opinion seems divided
Bees survive perfectly well on sugar syrup and even if you feed what will be in the brood is a mix of honey and syrup. What they also forget to mention online is that in some cold temps syrup is actually better for the bees as less waste(poo) is generated.

Thank you for that, really helpful - and makes the job simple as well.

Thank you for that, really helpful - and makes the job simple as well.
We always leave a super of honey on each of our hives. Got them through two winters successfully so will do it again this year .

It's not eaten. We put ours at the top of the brood box frames
Yes I understand that. I was asking whether the bees eat it. If not why leave it for them?
Bees can easily store enough food for winter in the brood nest where it's needed

Yes I understand that. I was asking whether the bees eat it. If not why leave it for them?
Bees can easily store enough food for winter in the brood nest where it's needed
😀sorry thought you meant the apiguard!!!! I like to leave them food they have made, more natural as well as all the hard work they put into making it, it's all about the bees for us, we take plenty and leave them with enough to get them through winter, ,hopefully without having to buy too much sugar or fondant. Overfed last year when really they had enough honey so they stored copious amounts which they didn't eat. Planning to do things differently for this winter. Going to trust in the weight and their supplies. I know a few experienced beekeepers on here leave a super of honey and I follow their lead, others do not, its purely down to choice

Latest posts

Back