varroa treatments

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do any of you use Api Life Var?
Used it for many years when I had fewer colonies. Works really well, organic rating, one year even left it on until spring. Could smell it in the apiary even though there was snow on the ground. If you use poly hives , stick a piece of cooking foil on the lid above it.

Last year I used apiguard in the late summer/autumn.....but lots of folks here seem to favour using oxalic acid vape in the early winter when the brood reaches a minimal amount.

Are people using these "wands" attached to a battery???.....are they straightforward to use?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220618-162800~2.png
    Screenshot_20220618-162800~2.png
    140.3 KB · Views: 2
Last year I used apiguard in the late summer/autumn.....but lots of folks here seem to favour using oxalic acid vape in the early winter when the brood reaches a minimal amount.

Are people using these "wands" attached to a battery???.....are they straightforward to use?
We do both

@ Nick Lang.
I do a late summer treatment with Apiguard so that the bees raised for winter are as healthy as possible. Then when brood quantity is low, early winter, an oxalic vape. Yes I use a wand and an eke to vape from the top. Simple and logical

@ Nick Lang.
I do a late summer treatment with Apiguard so that the bees raised for winter are as healthy as possible. Then when brood quantity is low, early winter, an oxalic vape. Yes I use a wand and an eke to vape from the top. Simple and logical
We do the same albeit we vape from the entrance

Except the manufacturer's advice.

Never seen advice from the manufacturer saying that you should never extract honey from frames which have historically been exposed to Apivar, but perhaps you could link to your source to clear things up?

That's the eBay variety
They work adequately but regard them as disposable.
Or a 'work in progress' if you enjoy mending things.
The crucible will eventually work loose and so will the handle- just when you don't need them to.
Entertainment abound

They are easy to use - put your OA in the crucible,insert into the hive through the entrance (in cold weather better to apply through an eke on top)
Power on
Wait until the dose has gone
Job done.
Takes less than a minute per hive- excluding malfunction.

There are far better types if you don't mind shelling out.

Never seen advice from the manufacturer saying that you should never extract honey from frames which have historically been exposed to Apivar, but perhaps you could link to your source to clear things up?
I followed Erichalfbee's link, clicked on "for instructions click here", scrolled down to the very bottom, in the box below questions about Apivar. "Do not recycle brood frames as honey frames". To me that seems a clear instruction not to extract honey from frames that have been exposed to Apivar.

I have only been using OS over the last few years with good success and contemplating using a different method this autumn, maybe Apitraz. Is it worth alternating or it doesn't make much difference? Thanks

Advice please...I would like to use apiguard this autumn, but would also like to leave the bees with a super of honey for the winter. Can I put the apiguard trays on the brood box with an eke, then put the super on top. Presumably there won't be much honey left in the super by spring, and what there is might be tainted, but if that is going to be the super I leave on the hive the following winter that won't matter as I won't ever extract from that one. Does that sound reasonable?

I had another thought. Could I take the super off and freeze the frames while I do the apiguard treatment, then replace it? I have tried putting plastic between the crown board and the roof, just to store it easily, but it was full of wax moth when I went back to it.

I'm still in two minds about leaving a super on over winter, some people think the bees may starve if they won't move into the stores. Very worrying, this beekeeping business... but nothing beats watching the hive on a sunny day

Latest posts

Back