Varroa Treatment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Evening all I need to treat for Varroa now soon I have supers on hives that I want to leave on for winter stores would it be best to put them under the brood box while treating or does it not matter your thoughts would be appreciated.
Could always "improve the condition of your hive" by using some oxalic strips from abelo. Good time of year for it by my reckoning.

Marshalling. I volunteered as a vaccinator and completed four on-line training modules and was assessed by my GP as competent to wield the syringe. However when I came to log on to Pinnacle as a vaccinator, a country-wide pharmacy site used for recording patients' details, type of vaccine etc, it wouldn't accept me because I took voluntary erasure from the Medical Register in 2013 and have been refused temporary re-registration by the GMC because more than six years has elapsed. Thus I don't have a GMC number.
My GP, a kindly soul, suggested that I become the clerk entering the details on Pinnacle (at the Health Centre vaccination sessions the vaccinator and the clerk work in pairs. It takes longer to enter the details on to the computer than to administer the jab). However I was too slow on the keyboard (very clunky system).
The net result is that SWMBO has become a clerk and I marshal the post-jab observation area, wiping down every seat as it is vacated.
Maybe it's all for the good. Many locals arriving for their jabs would have recognised me, syringe in hand, resulting in panic simulating the exodus of the Gadarine swine....
Never mind. At least you are doing something. I don't suppose they would let a vet anywhere near a syringe for a human arm and to my chagrin I never explored the possibility of doing anything else so I shall be in the queue at my GP for my shot next week.

Never mind. At least you are doing something. I don't suppose they would let a vet anywhere near a syringe for a human arm and to my chagrin I never explored the possibility of doing anything else so I shall be in the queue at my GP for my shot next week.

Interesting Q. After all, nurses, physios, and pharmacists are jabbing so presumably they enter their respective professional registration numbers into Pinnacle. In September SWMBO and I had our flu jabs in the pharmacy of local ASDA, administered by a pharmacist [we had hoped to be offered some Green Shield Stamps and a discounted funeral plan, but no luck].

On the other hand, I remember reading that it's against the law for medics to treat animals e.g. prescribe medication. It's a mercy that we beekeepers are allowed to administer varroa treatments.

Yes ... there are strains that come on early like Timperley Early which with a mild spring can be pickable as early as March... I've got three different crowns at the allotment Champagne, Victoria and an unknown - the earliest will have some unforced sticks in April and the rest come on in stages until I stop picking end of June/early July to give them chance to recover. I freeze a lot to keep us in crumbles over the winter.
I have one crown of Timperley Early with about 3" of growth on it at present. Have protected it tonight as it looks like its below freezing for the next few days!

One of life's pleasures - more so in the middle of winter ! Real comfort food. And .. proper custard not the tinned 'light' version ... one you can stand your spoon up in.

Also, proper custard quickly develops a skin on top. I used to fight my brother for it. Sadly, since the passing of my mother many years ago, I've not been able to enjoy this treat.

I used to fight my brother for it. Sadly, since the passing of my mother many years ago, I've not been able to enjoy this treat.
You could still fight your brother just for the hell of it? I find it's a treat too 😁

You could still fight your brother just for the hell of it? I find it's a treat too 😁

Nah, he's no fight left in him - he always lost the skin-on-the-rice-pudding fight too. Result of co-education all his youth. Mine was single sex schooling - you know where, Pentrepo......Excuse me, toilet calls....

So ...Rhubard is about ready to harvest May/June - Just about the time when you will have your supers filling with some nice spring/early summer honet ,... Do you insert the Rhubarb leaves on top of the supers under the crownboard or do you put them on top of the brood box under the supers ... or do you force your Rhubarb to get a few early leaves to put on before the spring flow.. .. Or wait until the rhubarb is dying back in September to put a few of the old brown leaves on there after the supers come off ...

or there again...perhaps you will wait until January ... the 10th possibly .... and stuff the composted leaves into your sublimox ? :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2:

"No snow... ground frozen... 74 colonies given the Sublimox as a Epiphany present."
Well I eat lots of rhubarb and I’ve never suffered from varroa.... :laughing-smiley-014:laughing-smiley-014

I eat rhubarb and have not caught Covid. (yet)

Eat the stems, save the leaves
Place above brood below the qx if you use one
Of course rhubarb works more efficaciously if the colonies are place on a leyline facing the direction of Mars in the night sky when Sirus is rising!
Do this on Easter Sunday..
But not in a leap year.. and if Jupiter is converging with Uranus in which case just face the hive entrance away from the prevailing wind.

Yeghes da

Of course rhubarb works more efficaciously if the colonies are place on a leyline facing the direction of Mars in the night sky when Sirus is rising!
But not in a leap year.. and if Jupiter is converging with Uranus in which case just face the hive entrance away from the prevailing wind.

Yeghes da
I’ll have Roger P after yu mi lad !

Yeghes da
Always good advice to face with Uranus pointing away from the hive in any case ... which reminds me haven't seen Dusty Rhodes on the TV lately ?

Always good advice to face with Uranus pointing away from the hive in any case ... which reminds me haven't seen Dusty Rhodes on the TV lately ?
I think he and “The Church” parted ways as far as the bees are concerned. Didn’t somebody with the right ticket get the job?

I think he and “The Church” parted ways as far as the bees are concerned. Didn’t somebody with the right ticket get the job?
I don't know - I thought I saw him on the TV last year when they were doing a piece from Manchester about how they were teaching people to do new things as part of a social project... the bees on the cathedral roof was one of the components of the project they identified... I hope he's OK ... he was an asset to the forum ...

Just looked it up .. they are called Volition and there are 9 hives still on the roof being looked after by them. You can find them on Facebook...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back