Varroa treatment survey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The jury is still out opn whether MAQS is really effective on sealed brood, some studies have cast doubt on this.
Of course if people listened and thought about MAQS maybe more people who have nationals and not Dadants (which is what the two strip dose is designed for) would reduce the dose accordingly thus not encounter the problems.

There are alternatives but the time of year can limit them.
When I first used it I was more than a little worried as I was managing someone else's hives as well as my own. The whole lot needed treating and all had supers on for the OSR. The smell was incredibly powerful which is what made me particularly nervous and I had visions of them all absconding but all worked out well and the MAQS was really effective.
I wouldn't use it in August. The temperatures can get too high too quickly. And anyway once you've got the supers off thymol is as good as you need.
I know people like OA vapes but that needs repeat treatments with brood, compared to a single MAQS.
Yes.
I’m an OAV fan and have used that as my only varroa treatment for 12 or so years.
There is Amitraz these days as well

Sorry, it was not clear to me that you only had the crown board open while using maqs. I have never used maqs as I feel it is too harsh, and would be uncomfortable with through ventilation for whatever length of time.
I use thymol after harvest and an OA vape in Nov/Dec.

August - apiguard
End December - oxalic acid vape (1)
End August - apivar
September - One hive on vape every 5 days 4 treatments.

Will be doing one vape around Christmas again on all hives

Will be vaping all hives next year in September if the experiment hive comes through winter well.

Sugar powder is a chemical.
It kills open brood if you are dusting every frame weekly which is what you have to do to have any impact on varroa.
My dog has arthritis and gets chemicals to ease his pain. I think he might disagree with you.
So is dihydrogen oxide but nobody worries about that despite it being fatal to mammals by submersion.

I think Jenkinsbrynmair has it right, my poly hives are all 14x12 so close to a dadant in terms of volume and during the MAQS treatment had a super underneath each brood box and an eke on top to get even more volume. The crown board was open but directly under a closed roof while the omf had the varroaboard 1 inch underneath and the entrances were fully open. The fumes in the hive were unbearable from a human perspective and a lot of bees bearded on warmer days so they probably didn't enjoy it either. Did kill a lot of mites though...

Latest posts

Back