Varroa Treatment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi , I got my first colony last year and all is well so far, I haven't treated for Varroa yet though, I have a vaporizer and am ready to go, the thing is, am I to late to treat I spoke with a friend and he says he does x 3 treatments at 5 day intervals he also uses Varroa Strips before the Oxalic treatment? any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Raf

Hi Raf in fairness you should really have treated in the Autumn last year. This is most important time of the year influencing colony survival, bee numbers drop and varroa numbers grow disproportionately. It’s also the time that bees carrying the hive through the Winter are reared, so ensuring they are healthy is paramount. Oxalic can be used all year around and is great as a single shot treatment end of Dec/jan it’s cheap fast and effective, giving the colony a clean start for the up coming season.
So many of us will use strips in the Autumn followed by Oxalic in the Winter.
As they missed a treatment I’d be inclined to give them something as soon as weather allows, theoretically you could start a vaping series anytime you like and popping the crown board to slip a couple of strips in takes no time. Choice is yours!

Don't know how you are getting on Raf or if you are still visiting the website. Any treatment should be started now or very soon if any supers for human extraction are off the hive.
Vape at any time of the day and repeat at 5 day intervals where one will see the mite drop if a board is inserted underneath.

I started my vape treatment on Monday and yesterday for my colonies with a follow up vape at the weekend and then end of next week.
I tend not to bother monitoring mite fall closely as I know there will be mites and often a lot. That said I do initially for the first 48hrs monitor the garden hive mite fall, so far 24hrs = approx. 100 dropped.

At the third vape I will put the boards on to monitor mite fall to decide if an extra one is needed, I will revisit the hives mid October and carry out a one off vape to monitor in case of reinfestation which isn't uncommon and may catch some off guard.

Beeks will lose colonies over winter and we have seen indications of varroa as the cause depite varroa treatment in Autumn, some think that the job is done with the initial treatment and become complacent but with a reinfestation it will catch some out.

Reinfestation can come from non treaters who neither monitor their colonies or simply don't bother and allow the fittest to servive, both camps do little to help beeks who manage their colonies in a responsible manner. Bees will forage and mix so mites can jump host.

Don't know how you are getting on Raf or if you are still visiting the website. Any treatment should be started now or very soon if any supers for human extraction are off the hive.
Vape at any time of the day and repeat at 5 day intervals where one will see the mite drop if a board is inserted underneath.

I started my vape treatment on Monday and yesterday for my colonies with a follow up vape at the weekend and then end of next week.
I tend not to bother monitoring mite fall closely as I know there will be mites and often a lot. That said I do initially for the first 48hrs monitor the garden hive mite fall, so far 24hrs = approx. 100 dropped.

At the third vape I will put the boards on to monitor mite fall to decide if an extra one is needed, I will revisit the hives mid October and carry out a one off vape to monitor in case of reinfestation which isn't uncommon and may catch some off guard.

Beeks will lose colonies over winter and we have seen indications of varroa as the cause depite varroa treatment in Autumn, some think that the job is done with the initial treatment and become complacent but with a reinfestation it will catch some out.

Reinfestation can come from non treaters who neither monitor their colonies or simply don't bother and allow the fittest to servive, both camps do little to help beeks who manage their colonies in a responsible manner. Bees will forage and mix so mites can jump host.
Thanks Hemo, just got some Veroa strips through? Was advised strips first then Vap? What do you think have you tried the strips.
Thanks for the advice

Thanks Hemo, just got some Veroa strips through? Was advised strips first then Vap? What do you think have you tried the strips.
Thanks for the advice
Also this website is fantastic combined knowledge of so many. Thanks everyone

Depends on which strips you are talking about ?

For the last 6 or 7 years my only treatment is via vaping , minimalist action that doesn't engage in opening up the colony and disturbing them greatly.

All my top ekes are on and the colonies get there first vape tomorrow ( one collapsing colony has already had one)

RAF, can you put a rough location on your Avatar as UK is a big country and it helps
Thanks

Is it ok to feed syrup while Apiguard is on?
yes, I always did - even before they changed the instructions to say you could, only thing you have to be mindful of is that they may see the extra space afforded by the eke as an opportunity to stash stores in there

Latest posts

Back