Varroa treatment survey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobthecob

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
For the purposes of helping new beekeepers, or those who haven't been treating but are considering starting, develop a varroa plan, I was wondering if I could do a quick, purely factual survey?

For 2019 and 2020, what varroa treatment (excluding hive manipulations such as splits) did you apply and when (including those you will apply this winter)?

For example, the answer might be

Apiguard in August 2019
Oxalic acid trickle in January 2020
Apivar in August 2020
Oxalic acid trickle in January 2021 planned

If you haven't treated, please don't comment - there are other threads for that debate.

If you want to comment on why you chose a particular treatment, great, but that isn't essential.

Thanks in advance to anyone who is kind enough to respond.

For the purposes of helping new beekeepers, or those who haven't been treating but are considering starting, develop a varroa plan, I was wondering if I could do a quick, purely factual survey?

For 2019 and 2020, what varroa treatment (excluding hive manipulations such as splits) did you apply and when (including those you will apply this winter)?

August 2019 & 2020: OA vape x3
Dec 2019 and 2020(planned): single OA vape

Apiguard in August 2019
Apivar in August 2020

Have done as you stated as an example although I may vape in Dec/Jan as I have 3 hives now so worth investing in the equipment. Also need to check whether OA is strictly needed after Apivar but can’t think why not off the top of my head.

Edit: Could add that the reason I’m using Apivar this year is that I like to try new things in beekeeping (adds to my knowledge) and that with the Apiguard, there was quite a lot that crystallised and was left in the tray after treatment last year. I did have quite a DWV problem about this time last year and a high drop rate as a result of not OA treating them as a collected swarm in May 2019. They came through winter ok though with the treatment regime.

Last edited:
Vape from end August every five days till drops satisfactory. Usually need four. All hives last year
No mid winter treatment
One hive will get Apivar this year because it’s on top of the potting shed roof.

OA vape(s) Aug/September 2019
OA vape(s) Dec 19/Jan 20 + one hive vaped Early Feb
Plan amitraz anytime soon - when it arrives.
Plan OA vape late dec 20 early 21.

Apiguard in August 2019
Apivar in August 2020

If you haven't treated, please don't comment - there are other threads for that debate.

If you want to comment on why you chose a particular treatment, great, but that isn't essential.

And me same as Bob
Havent used Apivar before

Apigard in August
AO trickle December

Vaped multiple last year 4 or 5 times at 4 - 5 day intervals, same again this year. Most colonies hardly dropping any significant numbers thus far except one which initially only dropped <30m on the first vape and about 200 - 250 on the last two.

Apivar end August to mid October then OA trickle on Christmas day -- temperature permitting. Don't check for varroa but just treat anyway. In my first couple of years I used Apiguard but found the bees weren't removing it all and it was a faff having to put ekes on to make room and also couldn't use it when the weather was most suited, i.e. warm, as that was the time when honey flow was on.

- Apiguard September 19
- MAQS April 20
Planned >
- Apiguard September 20
- MAQS April 21

Apiguard in August 2019
Apivar in August 2020

Apilife Var in March/April
Two treatments with seven day gap.
Repeated in Sept/Oct
No treatment of any sort during the season.

Last edited:
My first this season will be OA vape.
When I take the supers of.
Im just about to do an excel mite drop using OA on 18 colonys.
I've still got 8 colonys at catherton nr the Heather, so I'll be looking at them shortly, looks like we've got a small Heather crop :devilish: . But none the less it will be my first.

My new and home reared nucs will be having apivar, left over from last year.
I'll do a six weeker with these and reposition them on week 4, scratching any propolis of and moving them if needs be.

Latest posts

Back