Varroa-resistant mites in Luxembourg

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone seen this? https://today.rtl.lu/news/luxembourg/a/2223473.html

Without a link to some kind of evidence I'm highly disinclined to believe it, I have to admit. They don't seem that desperate to advertise their "open source" breeding methods, either. I can't find any information about them thus far.

James
Would need a follow up, I suppose contact for further info might enlighten

Paul Jungels is a highly regarded buckfast breeder who's been incorporating/working with primorski line queens for some years so the base of the story is probably pretty accurate

Screenshot 2024-08-16 at 07.38.23.png

I'm curious about this

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-16 at 07.33.31.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-16 at 07.33.31.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2024-08-16 at 07.33.31.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-16 at 07.33.31.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Busy applying for a poisons licence so you can use OA to remove rust stains from campervan panels?

I don't think I need one if the business does it :D

Actually, there's even a plausible use case. One of the things we've discussed is making worktops and other panels from reclaimed timber. We do pine and oak worktops from "new" timber, but reclaimed can often have more character. I think they'd really suit furniture like this (now over the rear wheel arch in a Transit Custom, hence the bungee storage at the bottom), inspired when we saw a Welsh dresser in a luton van that came in recently to have some windows fitted.

dresser.jpg

James

I don't think I need one if the business does it :D

Actually, there's even a plausible use case. One of the things we've discussed is making worktops and other panels from reclaimed timber. We do pine and oak worktops from "new" timber, but reclaimed can often have more character. I think they'd really suit furniture like this (now over the rear wheel arch in a Transit Custom, hence the bungee storage at the bottom), inspired when we saw a Welsh dresser in a luton van that came in recently to have some windows fitted.

View attachment 41039

James
Some reclaimed wood is bound to have rust stains which needs removing 🙂

I find it's great for removing rust stains off stainless steel extraction equipment (all stainless steel rusts unless marine or surgical grade)
I sometimes wonder how many of the allegedly stainless sink unit tops manage to meet trade description legislation. (Having used lots of "proper" 316L stainless in process plants with never a hint of discolouration)

I sometimes wonder how many of the allegedly stainless sink unit tops manage to meet trade description legislation. (Having used lots of "proper" 316L stainless in process plants with never a hint of discolouration)
I know what you mean though it is called "stainless" not "stainnone" ,🤔

Me too!
We don't need a second reservoir of mites!
Hopefully they wouldn't survive queen wasp hibernation 🤞
We also don't need wasps struggling with varroa. Interesting to see that image as I'd wondered about other hosts. Hopefully more data in time.

I believe DWV has been found in wasps thought to be from eating infected honey bees but I can’t find any reports of varroa actually parasitising them. Maybe simply hitching a ride ?

I believe DWV has been found in wasps thought to be from eating infected honey bees but I can’t find any reports of varroa actually parasitising them. Maybe simply hitching a ride ?
But if that's to no advantage to the wasp and possibly to its detriment, does that not make even the hitching a ride a form of parasitism?

Latest posts

Back