Mite Gait

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polymorph

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I was listening to Radio 4 this morning and heard this news clip on varroa mites
“Despite an abundance of Varroa studies, very little is known about mite gait, but we have now identified that it has a vibratory signature that is highly different to that of the other invertebrates tested in our study. This, along with the unusual anatomy of the Varroa, offers tantalising indications that the gait pattern may even be unique to this species.”

Thought it was initially a joke, but this article seems to be the source . If you hear one set of eight legs your fine, if you hear a varroa herd it's apparently time to treat :) .

Yes I heard that on Radio 4 this morning - they can tell whether there is varroa is present in the hive by listening to their footsteps ... the research 'could' make it easier to tell if a colony is infested ...

I have an easier way ... unless you live in an area which remains free of varroa - your colony IS infested with mites - the question is not whether or not they are - the question is the size of the infestation !

Still... at least someone is investigating varroa even if they are treading a path down to a dead end ...

I missed that.....

The mite’s movement is described as efficient and rapid – and walking speed, the stride of each leg and the way in which legs collide with the surface are all factors attributed to its unique walk.

The tiny creatures have eight legs and walk with their forelegs raised above the ground, using the three other pairs to move.

I occasionally spot a live one on an inspection board and sometimes chase it around. They are like little crabs 🦀
I treat after harvest anyway and I've never had none so I agree with Philip
I have an easier way ... unless you live in an area which remains free of varroa - your colony IS infested with mites - the question is not whether or not they are - the question is the size of the infestation !

I missed that.....

The mite’s movement is described as efficient and rapid – and walking speed, the stride of each leg and the way in which legs collide with the surface are all factors attributed to its unique walk.

The tiny creatures have eight legs and walk with their forelegs raised above the ground, using the three other pairs to move.

I occasionally spot a live one on an inspection board and sometimes chase it around. They are like little crabs 🦀
I treat after harvest anyway and I've never had none so I agree with Philip
Should be OK here on Lancashire. The mites all wear caps and clogs. You can hear them streets away.

In The Netherlands too (sing along now) - a little mite with clogs on - well I declare, going clip, clippity clop on the frames (bugger it wouldn't scan!). Was Max Bygraves a beekeeper.............)

Should be OK here on Lancashire. The mites all wear caps and clogs. You can hear them streets away.
Certain horse breeds have different gaits (icelandic, paso fino, Standardbred. Tennessee walking horses etc. The hoofbeats are very much different so if mites have similar genetic variation it could well throw the research out of the window 😉.
I speak as an Icelandic horse rider. Hearing an icelandic coming up behind could create varying degrees of panic in non gaited breeds.😀

In The Netherlands too (sing along now) - a little mite with clogs on - well I declare, going clip, clippity clop on the frames (bugger it wouldn't scan!). Was Max Bygraves a beekeeper.............)
Oh no , did you have a bad childhood or do you just like spoiling everyone else's day ? , max Bygrave, ....oh FFS ,...

Latest posts

Back