Varroa drop

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If things are cooling of just a tad, a sheet of insulation above the crownboard would certainly assist in maintaining a 'nearer to optimum' temperature.

One has to remember these things are not necesarily made to micron accuracy.
There will be an acceptable 'range'.
The formulations are made for several differing climates.
They are blandly labelled as one tray over the broodbox for two weeks, without consideration of brood box size - WBC or jumbo Langstroth.

Or am I not guessing incorrectly (as I don't use apiguard anyway).

Regards, RAB

sorry - not clear from the original photo but appear to be workers (eyes don't meet). one has crumpled but long wings, but another has straight. Perhaps it is DWV. re the actual size of the pupae - i presume like butterflies they "pump" themselves up after emergence?

That picture is quite distressing :( Their tongues are lolling out....what could the cause of that be? Darn my memory, there was a thread a while back that mentioned tongues hanging out as a symptom of something. Can anyone remind me what it was? It wasn't starvation btw, i'm sure it was a reaction to something, maybe poisoning.

tongues

would be great if anyone can remember the reason for protruding tongues - only thing that has happened in last week is the apilifevar Rx. No new discards today - either at porch or on ground underneath.

no obvious crop spraying or similar in surrounding area recently either.

BTW as you can see from later pictures they seem tom be worker pupae.

I noticed when a colony has died of nosema then most of the dead bees have thier tongues sticking out.
But whether bees would remove pupae with nosema I don't know.
Any thoughts?

poisoning/starving

ok - have found three references to poisoning , one (the last) which also mentions starved brood.

http://www.beesfordevelopment.org/info/info/pesticides/bees-pesticides.shtml

http://************************/articles/bee_diseases.php

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/as...sorders_of_honeybees_-_primefact_40-final.pdf

since it is only late pupae (about to emerge) that are displaying symptoms then would perhaps favour starved brood. this colony was "nasty" parent that was split - remained queenless for quite a little while (requeened a month ago) - could that have left a dearth of young nurse bees a week or two back so about to emerge brood poorly fed. hive currently well supplied with stores (in fact removed two frames before apilifevar Rx).

I assume those bees had to die for these pictures to be taken. Do their tongues protrude when they die? Is it something that happens, like in cartoons? Sorry, but seriously, I also noticed that the wings in the link picture were rolled too. I have asked this before but is that how they form? I don't know what the text is on the link, my browser doesn't have a translator.

That picture is quite distressing :( Their tongues are lolling out....what could the cause of that be? Darn my memory, there was a thread a while back that mentioned tongues hanging out as a symptom of something. Can anyone remind me what it was? It wasn't starvation btw, i'm sure it was a reaction to something, maybe poisoning.
Starvation .

John Wilkinson

german link

this appears to show the wings folded in same orientation as the legs - presume this is the normal pupal position from which they unfurl.

Latest posts

Back