VAROMOR- Any good

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
would it be legal to use in UK as it uses a solvent and non authorised treatment method?

The principle of operation is based on high-temperature evaporation of a solution of the active substance (amitraz, fluvalinat, tau-fluvalinat, thymol, oxalic acid, etc.) with a solvent (purified kerosene, water, ethanol 96%, etc.).

Last edited:
would it be legal to use in UK as it uses a solvent and non authorised treatment method?

The principle of operation is based on high-temperature evaporation of a solution of the active substance (amitraz, fluvalinat, tau-fluvalinat, thymol, oxalic acid, etc.) with a solvent (purified kerosene, water, ethanol 96%, etc.).

Whether it's currently legal is a bit irrelevant - use that for evaporating OA for sublimation and I would suggest it's LETHAL !!

Seems no point in reinventing the wheel -there are enough good OA Sublimators on the market, at a variety of prices - both high and low - that there is plenty of choice for those of us who want to clean their hives using OA.

Whether it's currently legal is a bit irrelevant - use that for evaporating OA for sublimation and I would suggest it's LETHAL !!

Seems no point in reinventing the wheel -there are enough good OA Sublimators on the market, at a variety of prices - both high and low - that there is plenty of choice for those of us who want to clean their hives using OA.

I agree that it is overkill - it's a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

But looking at the design of it there isn't a significant volume which could become overpressurised, so I am pretty sure there isn't much risk of an explosion.

It would be impossible to clean after putting apibioxal through it though.

Personally, I'll be sticking with my simple glow plug powered vaporiser!

I agree that it is overkill - it's a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

But looking at the design of it there isn't a significant volume which could become overpressurised, so I am pretty sure there isn't much risk of an explosion.

It would be impossible to clean after putting apibioxal through it though.

Personally, I'll be sticking with my simple glow plug powered vaporiser!

I wasn't thinking so much about an explosion - more the prospect of superheated OA crystals in what is, effectively, an OA 'gun' with no obvious means of stopping the flow of sublimated OA gas ... a lung full of OA is not a pleasant experience - just a whiff is bad enough !!

Looking for a new Varoa Evaporator and seen the following on Ebay. Anyones used or have any ideas if its any good for Oxalic Evaporation?

It loos more like a Food Grade Mineral Oil (FGMO) evaporater. I don't think this is intended for use with Oxalic Acid

The description says it runs by heating a solution using a Gas Canister so no battery power required.

Hmm Shows how awake I was.

I blame the tonic water which diluted the gin..

It loos more like a Food Grade Mineral Oil (FGMO) evaporater. I don't think this is intended for use with Oxalic Acid

agree, it appears to need a solvent (water or alcohol) to dissolve the oxalic dihydrate and and wouldnt the water/alcohol just steam/vapour the varroa and all you would be left with is oxalic crystals which would clog it up until it eventually reach sublimation point which is above the boiling point of water or other solvents suggested

some of the other products suggested are volatile hard chemical not purchasable easily in the UK unless in fixed forms like bayvrol or apistan

It appears to me that The solution is kept in a tank from where it is pumped to the burner, from where the fluid carrier is burnt off and the OA or whatever then sublimates. So should not clog.

Address is Bugarest Romania

"Bees treatments: Strategy anti-varroa using essential oils
In our attempts to reduce the number of varroa mites, we tested over time most treatments and decided to limit the use of chemicals as much as possible. Thus, in the past few years we have adopted the strategy of essential oils for active period of the season, using them mostly on the lemon grass (lemon grass) and mint.".

https://www.apis-donau.ro/blog/strategie-anti-varroa-folosind-uleiuri-esentiale/

Recipe
- 8 drops of lemongrass essential oil (lemon grass)
- 8 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 1 teaspoon of liquid lecithin or vegetable glycerin (mandatory to mix oils with syrup). Oils and lecithin or glycerin mix before being placed in syrup.
- 500 grams sugar
- 500 ml of water at 38 ° C
Stir when sputtering permanent container containing syrup for a complete homogenisation

Last edited:
I bet that university of Sussex has met its winner

backwashing
A second important aspect is that after spraying sticky syrup, mites get stuck on the body of bees, which, by cleaning each other, manage to eliminate a huge percentage. Hives bottom of the net is very useful in this process.
During the year, replacing two such applications with two dusting with powdered sugar.
Sprinkle (CERN) over bees between 100 and 200 grams of powdered sugar, depending on the size of the colony. Sugar remained on the backs of frames it scattered intervals using a brush.
The effect is known, lice varroa bee no longer adhere to the body and are easily removed by them. Again anti-Varroa hive bottom helps greatly, as will remove mites fall through the net and will not be able to climb the body of bees.
The effectiveness of this process, an overwhelming role plays "hygienic behavior of the bees", so at the time of selection breeding bees, it is imperative to take into account and this aspect.

Last edited:
So, when bees scrab the dust sugar from them, it is called "hygienic behavior of the bees".

Thank you all, great comments, after reading all advise will give it miss and go with the standard vaporiser. Appreciate the help.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Thank you all, great comments, after reading all advise will give it miss and go with the standard vaporiser. Appreciate the help.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Good move ... The cheapo ones from Thornes will do the job effectively - you don't have to get a Varrox. Mine is a home made one (Redwood design) and even that does the job ...

Yes, just an fgmo fogger, otherwise known as an insecticide fogger, these were used extensively by NDBKA back about 15 years ago, first only using fgmo, then fgmo plus thymol, was not found to be effective enough...and I've never seen bees in such a sorry state as after using these things on them.

Latest posts

Back