Oxalic Acid Vaporizer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the inspection tray i use when vaping, the pan from the gasser fits through the hole and under the open mesh floor, i do not like the idea of frying bees or the Queen by gassing above the mesh floor.

IMG_2175_zpsijm09hek.jpg

I tried using my vaporiser with brood in last year, took way longer than slapping MAQS strips on. I now only use it for winter treatments where it is perfect.

Ok thanks for all advice, in the end common sense took over, Ordered the £35 one from Ts and OA from *bay and a suitable mask.
I'll remove suppers for 10 mins while I do the treatment and then replace,
Once every 7 days to get full brood cycle.

Ok thanks for all advice, in the end common sense took over, Ordered the £35 one from Ts and OA from *bay and a suitable mask.
I'll remove suppers for 10 mins while I do the treatment and then replace,
Once every 7 days to get full brood cycle.

Seven days leaves a gap where some varroa can dive back in under capped brood.

Can you explain that theory please, i vape mine 5 days apart x 4 if needs must but to date i do not have a clue which individual mature cell is going to emerge as the Queens can lay a lot over over the season every day for weeks on end with them all emerging at different times thus giving random frames for the Queen to lay in at her leisure, i'm not twisting by the way i would just like to know how seven and five days apart make any difference.

When a mite emerges with its newly emerged bee it needs to remain phoretic for 4-5 days before it can pop back into a cell to start reproducing.
So after you last vape any newly emerged mites will be exposed (phoretic) for a 4-5 days period before they go under cover.

In Europe beekeepers use 7 days.

Vaporazing fume condensates to tiny oxalic needles and who knows how long dust stays in the hive

When a mite emerges with its newly emerged bee it needs to remain phoretic for 4-5 days before it can pop back into a cell to start reproducing.
So after you last vape any newly emerged mites will be exposed (phoretic) for a 4-5 days period before they go under cover.

And drone cells, for instance, remain capped for 15 days so vaping on days 0, 5, 10, 15 should get them all. There is some evidence that Oxalic Acid crystals remain "active" in a hive for far longer than 5 days so 4 treatments should be enough.

CVB

And drone cells, for instance, remain capped for 15 days so vaping on days 0, 5, 10, 15 should get them all. There is some evidence that Oxalic Acid crystals remain "active" in a hive for far longer than 5 days so 4 treatments should be enough.

CVB

A Master Beekeeper told me that vaporisation with OA was only really efficient when there was little or no drone brood in the colony.. or any brood if possible... that would be in deepest mid Winter?

The rhubarb leaf treatment seems to be very efficacious!

Nos da

A Master Beekeeper told me that vaporisation with OA was only really efficient when there was little or no drone brood in the colony.. or any brood if possible... that would be in deepest mid Winter?

The rhubarb leaf treatment seems to be very efficacious!

Nos da

The trick is hitting the mite with the leaf without harming the bee. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ok then my new OA vaporizer has arrived. Thinking of doing this weekend because of honey supers on I'll take off for 10 mins, but only problem i see is keeping entrance closed for 10 mins, with bees going mad trying to get in.
Do I put inspection tray in ?

I did my first vaping of the season yesterday on a hive that'd ended up dropping 35 mites per day on a natural drop. After 24 hours there were about 450 mites on the board - not an accurate count because in carrying the board back to the house, a strong gust of wind blew some of them off. I've re-oiled the board to try to stop that happening again.

The NBU Varroa Calculator says I have 1300 mites in the hive. if i can keep up with the counting, It will be interesting to check how accurate the NBU estimate is.

CVB

Latest posts

Back